How much did you spend on equipment (not supplies) to reload?

I have heard lots of folks asking how much does it cost to reload. There is the initial expense and there are the ongoing expenses. Like updating equipment when something new or improved comes out. Or you get into another caliber. All in, how much do you have in equipment only?
Well I started reloading in 1972 with 38 Special and .45 ACP and progressed on from there. Of course everything has been upgraded over the years but looking at what is sitting on my loading bench using today's dollars I would estimate somewhere around $3500.00. Pretty much all of my equipment is RCBS with the exception of 9mm dies. It's not really the cost of reloading, its a labor of love and the joy of making super performing ammunition that shoots sub MOA and even these days with the great factory ammunition available, being to get smaller groups than factory.

Just look at a area 419 press, if your a ol rockchucker like me.Thats a eye openerr

I started aquiring my reloading stuff about 2.5 years ago. With the exception of a future electric all in one trimmer and an annealer im in it probably about 4,500. Thats for reloading equipment for 5 rifles....not including the bench.

I have heard lots of folks asking how much does it cost to reload. There is the initial expense and there are the ongoing expenses. Like updating equipment when something new or improved comes out. Or you get into another caliber. All in, how much do you have in equipment only?
I started of with picking up a rusty lyman 4 slot turret press at a swap meet for $5. Very bad mistake on my part.

Now I am north of 5000 if we are not counting the components.

That's awesome that you have help. Ive been shooting forever but started getting more into competitive pistol shooting and there is so much to know, different guns for different classes and making major power... loading way beyond what the loading books would ever tell you. Different bullet weights, bullet lengths, seating depths to function through your pistol, then adjusting the powder again because you had to seat the bullet deeper. Tuning recoil springs. Yup, that's about it, except, spending $3000 to $8000 for the latest greatest pistol and when that's not good enough, building one from scratch. And then you want to shoot in another class and need a different gun! Oh and don't forget all the holsters. The reloading equipment is for sure the cheapest part. Cheap hobby! :) (I sure do miss archery).
You have to know people or you will for sure waste a lot of time and money. Its good to have friends (AND FORUM members ) who have learned the hard way. I've had my moments. !

A good single stage kit can be had for $400ish. Building a good kit with decent measurement capability is a solid $2-$3000….maybe more depending on mistakes and how you handle them.

Don't even want to go there, after some xx years some 17 machines and maybe over 65-70 + die sets plus the extra's and custom dies , wildcats etc Ya its a few dollars for sure not counting brass-bullets-powder-primers-wads-shot-hulls. Don't want to go into the firearms / bows, that's pension dollars for sure. I see above = has a nice shotgun parazzi for sure, yah MX8 and the K's add up too !!

Last edited:
Kind of like price for a car
Let's see Zero press electronic powder dispenser medical grade scale dies for 17 to 416 cabinets for powder storage a man cave to do it in competition primer seater.
I could do it cheaper but I like good tools and the industry is kick out some very good equipment
Not to mention the enjoyment from smooth precise loading. 15 k or more not counting on all the different presse I've tried over the years I think you could get buy on $1000 or less but I sure wish I had the technology 25 years ago and I absolutely love my zero press

Very hard to really add up. A few upgrades were Christmas Gifts form my Fiancée, like the RCBS summit Press, and the RCBS Powder power measurer and Scale combo. I have added Forster Micrometer Seating dies for every caliber I load for. It is now time for match grade powder measure for Comp Shooting. Still have the older stuff which I was happy with, and still upgrading after nearly 55 years . Over $1000.00 , invested. Hope to continue to keep upgrading. Striving for improvements all the time.

Look. I just bought a lee progressive for 9mm to see if I wanted to do it. It was $275 and it has everything you need, except patience!.
My 1st press was a Lyman turret press but then I thought it flexed too much (in my mind, no proof or problem) so I thought I'd put it in my cabin upstate New York which I never bought so it's sat in my garage for 30 years but I switched to an RCBS rock chucker probably back in the mid eighties It probably cost me $79 now now they are $300? I have about 15 sets of dies figure $50 each. But i got most for $25 back in the day.. I just bought a new Lyman powder measure for $70.
I have An LE Wilson lathe trimmer with several holders. I dont really use it much but it works great. I like the Lyman trimmer with universal shell holder clamp. I still chamfer and debur by hand. You can get the motorized prep center for under $200 i think. I still like throwing short powder charges and bringing them up with a trickler, though im probably going to buy the rcbs competition powder dispensers and scale...I think thats under $400.
Small hand tools like flash hole uniformer and pocket uniformer, debur, are cheap almost negligible. After the press Your money is in the powder dispensers and competition dies. A brass tumbler is $80-150
Progressive loading is different. A Dillon 750 set up with a case feeder and mr bullet feeder is around $2000.
Fng primers are 10 cents each. That's painful for pistol shooters, thats negligible for rifle shooters. Id say most rifle shooters.
Are you asking to know how much you'll need to spend or just doing comparisons?
I have thousands dollar scopes sitting on thousand dollar rifles i haven't touched in years.!
Just the totals for all your reloading equipment only. Not expendables. It doesn't matter when you bought it, it counts. Thanks.

Recent Posts