How much brass for hunting rifle?

middleofnowhere

I'm curious how much brass does one need for a hunting rifle and how many times can you expect to reload each piece? In particular I'm looking at a .30 cal magnum.

I'm looking at a new rifle and will load for it. It will strictly be for hunting. I'm just wondering if I need to have 100 or 200 rounds. I'm in California and our laws on ammo purchases are really going to get crazy on 1/1/18.

Thanks

I'm curious how much brass does one need for a hunting rifle and how many times can you expect to reload each piece? In particular I'm looking at a .30 cal magnum.

I'm looking at a new rifle and will load for it. It will strictly be for hunting. I'm just wondering if I need to have 100 or 200 rounds. I'm in California and our laws on ammo purchases are really going to get crazy on 1/1/18.

Thanks
I always like lots of 100 but if you do limited shooting 50. Gives enough for 1 round of testing and 5 or more reloads.

Year one of a new hunting only rifle: 50 -100 shots go get the load dialed.

Every year there after 5 shots to verify the load in case of powder lot change, 20 shots max for 2 hunts. Since it really doesn't seem to take that many, plenty to spare.

If you are not killing your brass, you got 5 or more years of hunting out of 50 cases. I've got 300 WSM cases with 18 loads on them.

Someone else my have a different position or opinions on how this would flow.

middle, given your location and not knowing the effect of your 1/1/18 changes, perhaps stocking up would be a good idea. Not only brass, but powder, primers and bullets. The best quality brass will last longer and require less work. Prior to the election many stocked up on components in anticipation of unfriendly political regimes. A Ca. friend of mine already imports hard to find powder from here in Az via visiting relatives. Good luck

200 rounds of brass will (normally) last the life of the barrel. Presumably you will have all the brass from the same lot and never have to rework loads for brass variance and can always sell the excess brass if you sell the rifle.

Research life of the barrel & buy enough components for that.
It may seem excess, but those components will not go down in value -while the gun will.

A while back I decided to use components of one of my custom guns to build another. So to begin I sold off the reloading components for it. I ended up making more for the remaining reloading components I held than their cost, AND the entire cost of the custom gun build, including scope.
I see now that I could do this over & over, and not just with guns, but anything of real value.

Our world has gone full blown disposable.
You can no longer go to a familiar store and always buy what they've always had on hand.
Assume they don't anymore..
If today you happen to notice something that works, anything, consider whether you could need this something that works in the future. If so, buy all you can of it immediately. Chances are you will already find it disappearing, and very soon there will be nothing of it but dead internet links. Ghosts of it.
From motorcycles to furniture, pills to shoes,, and bullets,,, and primers and brass,,, nothing defies this new reality.

200 rounds of brass should last just about forever in a hunting rifle. Find a great shooting load and buy 1k bullets an 8lb keg of powder and a brick of primers. Store in a cool dry area and you're good to go.

Depending upon how much time you spend at the range practicing and re-familiarizing yourself with your hunting rifles(s) each season, 100 to 200 pieces of brass could last you for years. When available for calibers I reload, I may pick up 25 to 50 pieces of brass when I find a good price. Just my opinion, but Lapua and Norma (Nosler) brass lasts longer, especially if you anneal it after every two or three reloads. I have brass that I have reloaded 7 or 8 times and it still sizes well and the primer pockets are still relatively tight.

If the rifle is intended as a long term, primary hunting rig I like having 100-200 cases of the same lot. How much depends on the brand of brass. I don't worry so much about an initial supply so much with quality Norma or Lapua brass if they are available for the particular cartridge, and results are satisfactory. The QC is superb. I won't choose the specific brand of brass until I have finished load development. Part of load development includes determining how the brass behaves with repeated loadings, capacity, and performance. Not all chambers are created equal as is also the case with the various brands of brass. My 300WM gets 8-10 reloads with my chosen Norma brass with an annealing at 5 firings. My 6.5x284 is comparable and uses Lapua brass.

Like others I believe that 200 rounds are enough if you treat it right. (No High pressure loads).

When I start putting together a new build/cartridge I make an effort to get at least 200 rounds of brass for it. If it looks like it will be hard to find, I keep my eyes open for another 100 for insurance.

200 rounds is enough, but 300 will out last the rifle. so the minimum I try to start with is 200 and then if another 100 comes along, I will buy it if it is a good deal.

Years ago I started trying to collect 300 rounds of cases for each rifle (Not each cartridge because I don't mix or use them in other rifles of the same cartridge/chamber)

This method has served me well and often some more cases come available but with 300, I don't feel like I need any more and don't have/try to hoard.

Most hunters only that don't reload shoot less than 300 cartridges in there lifetime, so if they had someone load for them they probably could get by with 100 cases.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.