How interchangeable are stocks

Blacklab1

If I buy a Mcmillan HTG stock that's inlayed for a TL3 short action will an Aero Solus or Christianson Arms bolt down with no problems? I'm one of those people that like to switch things around and before I drop close to $1k into another stock I'd like to know it'll work. I have an HTG inlayed for a 700 and the Aero seems to fit pretty good with the exception of having to file down for the bolt release, but I haven't shot it yet since the barrel hasn't been screwed on so I don't know if there would be any accuracy issues. I really don't want to bed it to any particular action. Any real-world experience?

If they are 700 footprint as you did you might have minor filing but if you bed the action I think you will be good. If they are not 700 footprint then not so much. It wouod gebbest if someone with dirdct knowledge replied . One of tge resident gunsmiths ideally.

I have acquired McMillan "drop-in" stocks over the years for, 1 Sporter Model 70 Winchester, an A2, and a few A3's for my Remington 700 Mil-spec 700's with Varmint grade barres in 308 for competition, and 300WM used for LRH. All barrels were free-floated. With the exception of one of the Remington barreled actions which had a custom barrel with a heavy/thicker recoil lug requiring some material removal/bedding of the lug recess, this rifle as well as all the others using the standard factory configurations delivered <.5MOA accuracy, precision, with long term stability. All actions were torqued to 50-60 in/lbs.

I think you would be better off with a chassis style stock where most of the time no bedding is required.
I have a few chassis setups and they have their place but they're not the best for hunting thick timber when the deer are usually running like greyhounds when you see them. I was hoping to have a hunting setup that I could change actions easily.

I have a few chassis setups and they have their place but they're not the best for hunting thick timber when the deer are usually running like greyhounds when you see them. I was hoping to have a hunting setup that I could change actions easily.
Maybe you can try grayboe stocks, I have one for R700, it drops in and shots good.

I don't understand how a chassis makes that worse. I only use a chassis for hunting these days as does my wife.

Just curious if you could elaborate.

700 footprint should be modular to any 700 footprint ACTION of the same length. Ancillaries like the trigger, safety, bolt release, bolt journal, and recoil lug might require some file work.

Recent Posts