How do I proceed from here?

matthew lofton

I've got a new 7prc build and after a few shots to zero and another 12 shots trying different factory loads I have a 5 shot 1/2" group from the Fed Terminal Ascent 170gr. This is a Hart barrel and their recommended break in procedure is a little confusing. When should I clean this barrel so I don't screw anything up while it's setting in? Thanks in advance!

I've got a new 7prc build and after a few shots to zero and another 12 shots trying different factory loads I have a 5 shot 1/2" group from the Fed Terminal Ascent 170gr. This is a Hart barrel and their recommended break in procedure is a little confusing. When should I clean this barrel so I don't screw anything up while it's setting in? Thanks in advance!
What is confusing about it?

What is confusing about it?

What do you recommend for barrel break-in?

We do not believe that a break-in procedure is required with our barrels. If you follow our normal cleaning procedure, you should not have any problems with your new rifle. You should clean your rifle as often as your course of fire will allow. If you have time to shoot one and clean, that would be fine, but we personally do not feel it is necessary. Please be sure to only use the cleaning solvents listed in our cleaning instructions.

Soo….they don't believe in a break in procedure, but IF you follow their cleaning procedure it should be fine, but clean as often as my course of fire will allow, or IF I have time, shoot one and clean, but they don't feel it's necessary. This doesn't seem a little convoluted to you?

We do not believe that a break-in procedure is required with our barrels. If you follow our normal cleaning procedure, you should not have any problems with your new rifle. You should clean your rifle as often as your course of fire will allow. If you have time to shoot one and clean, that would be fine, but we personally do not feel it is necessary. Please be sure to only use the cleaning solvents listed in our cleaning instructions.

Soo….they don't believe in a break in procedure, but IF you follow their cleaning procedure it should be fine, but clean as often as my course of fire will allow, or IF I have time, shoot one and clean, but they don't feel it's necessary. This doesn't seem a little convoluted to you?
theyre saying THEY do not believe in a break in, so its up to you.
clean it as you would any rifle, or be more anal cause its new. whatever floats your boat
who knows if they tested 100 shot barrels against a brand new barrel?

If you have a 5 shot group under .5", then I see no reason to do more than you have. Clean it and check for copper fouling, then shoot it again. If it shoots great (sub .5") with factory loads, you are done. Shoot it and clean every year or 100 rounds. Use hand loads, and do ladders to find your nod, and then find the jump to tighten it up more. But .5" at 100 is only 2.5" at 500 and 5" at 1000. How far are you really planning to shoot?

No it's not confusing to me as @Berrnard exactly noted. Barrel manufacturers have different break-in recommendations, if you decide to do a barrel break-in, pick one a go for it. I use a modified version of Lilja's.

Haven't started reloading YET, so im excited about these results with a factory offering. Currently only shooting out to 500yds, but eventually plan to stretch that distance quite a bit.

Three of my rifles have Hart barrels. I broke in the first two barrels just to be on the safe side, as I knew it wouldn't hurt. With the third barrel I shot it without any break in procedure, and only cleaned it when I felt it was dirty. I can't say there is any difference, all three barrels shoot great, and don't excessively foul.

yes, I too have a Hart barrel but in 300wm and think it's the cat's meow (great people to deal with at Hart too!) My best group is a 1-inch group at 300 yards out of it so real happy with that. I initially cleaned the barrel really well upon receiving until nothing came off the patch. at the range, I cleaned after every shot for the first box then every couple of rounds thereafter. after 3-4 boxes, I started cleaning less until I just clean after a box each session at the range. we all have our opinions on cleaning barrels...

Three of my rifles have Hart barrels. I broke in the first two barrels just to be on the safe side, as I knew it wouldn't hurt. With the third barrel I shot it without any break in procedure, and only cleaned it when I felt it was dirty. I can't say there is any difference, all three barrels shoot great, and don't excessively foul.
I do the same with Bartlein barrels... actually all my guns.
Clean them good when new.
Shoot and then clean when dirty.

Bryan Blake makes his own barrels (one of his won the World F Class championships this year in Joburg). He said, "Shoot fifty round and then clean to bare metal." I ordered my first rifle (and barrel) from him after watching him shoot a 20 shot 1.9" group at 500 yards.

You dont need to break in a new barrel, it will settle in on its own. Ive heard somewhere that the only reason some companies include a break in procedure is because they got tired of customers asking what to do. Apparently just shoot it isnt good enough.

Heres a really good article on the subject.