Hornady pod cast on bonded bullets!

I'll will admit though... they are finicky

They CAN BE. Seating depth testing first with a middle load always produces the goods and it stays consistent across all testing.

I aim for consistent clover leafs, I don't have to find a load that prints 5 into one hole, but I want a 10 shot average that is sub MoA and I am happy. If it was my comp rifle, then I would be concerned.
I have never gotten great results with the 129g ABLR, however the batch I have (500 same #lot) are the very first run, even the BC has been changed since these were made. They shoot ok, .75MoA is best group to date, but I get much better groups with both the 142g & 150g ABLR.

Cheers.

My 6.5 PRC shot the ABLR the best of any of my guns so far. But it's hair pulling frustration, I can get 2 or 3 touching and then for no reason I can find, a 1.5" flier. If I shoot enough groups I can get a 3 shot .6 moa group but next one maybe 2" because of unexplained flier. Seating depth has no real effect on my ABLR loads that I can see. I can make an adjustment and get a better group but it won't hold up, like anything else I've tried keep shooting and next group is back with the flier. I get exact same thing buying factory loads using ABLR. In any bullet, I get a flier occasionally, but not near as often. The standard AB has always shot pretty well for me, it's my go to bullet In my 243, so bonded bullets can shoot well. Maybe not as well as some target bullets, but good enough for hunting at 600 and in.

My 6.5 PRC shot the ABLR the best of any of my guns so far. But it's hair pulling frustration, I can get 2 or 3 touching and then for no reason I can find, a 1.5" flier. If I shoot enough groups I can get a 3 shot .6 moa group but next one maybe 2" because of unexplained flier. Seating depth has no real effect on my ABLR loads that I can see. I can make an adjustment and get a better group but it won't hold up, like anything else I've tried keep shooting and next group is back with the flier. I get exact same thing buying factory loads using ABLR. In any bullet, I get a flier occasionally, but not near as often. The standard AB has always shot pretty well for me, it's my go to bullet In my 243, so bonded bullets can shoot well. Maybe not as well as some target bullets, but good enough for hunting at 600 and in.
A couple guys on here reported that sorting ABLR based on base to ogive length eliminated flyers for them. I haven't tried it, but likely will.
Makes sense if the lot has a lot of variation.

A couple guys on here reported that sorting ABLR based on base to ogive length eliminated flyers for them. I haven't tried it, but likely will.
Makes sense if the lot has a lot of variation.
They do have variation.
More so than the Ballistic Tip and Accubond in my experience.
Perhaps that's why my loads work better with a long jump.

Recent Posts