Hornady ELD Match

brandonc46

Please no smartass answers about using match bullets for hunting. Anyway, has anyone used the new Hornady ELD Match bullets on game, such as pigs, whitetail, or muleys? I have 100 of the 208 grainers I plan on loading up for my .300 Win mag. Any input would be great.

Thanks, Brandon

I would have no issue using them on pigs or whitetail. No mule deer experience though.

I have shot a lot of whitetail with a 178 amax at 2600 FPS from a 308. Distance from 15 yards to 560 yards. All performed just fine. No massive fragmentation or anything like that. Most all shots were heart/lung. Generally between a quarter and half dollar sized exit wound. The very close shots, say within 25 yards did not exit.

I have had the same experience with the 140 amax at 2725 from a 260 rem.

That said, I have been shooting some of the new ELD bullets and accuracy is great. I hope to do a little whitetail hunting with them this year.

No experience with the 208 ELD-M but I shoot the 208 amax in .308, 300wsm and 300wm. I have killed plenty of deer and or elk with each rifle. From what I understand, the ELD-M is the Amax with a different tip. When my pile of Amax's dry up I will switch to the ELD-M's.

I wouldn't hesitate to fling the eld-match at deer sized game. My family and I have taken quite a few deer with the old A-max and it never failed us. Devastating results! The eld-m is basically a slightly redesigned A-max. Im running the eld-m in a 6.5 and a 7mm RM right now for targets wth good results and will be using them for deer/black bear this fall.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.