Hornady eld match

bstomper

Just getting into reloading and have decided to try the eld x 162gn for hunting. I was at a cabelas today to pick up some of them but they didn't have any. One of the workers told I could use the eld match bullets because the only difference is that they are a more consistent weight between each bullet than the x. So I bought them. Checking on line when I got home It seems the match bullets are not meant for hunting. I don't want to waste time doing load development on them if I can't ethically hunt with them. I would have thought I could have trusted the salesman. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Bwaaa you thought you could trust a salesman. LOL. I have used the 140M on deer and they performed fine from a Creed AR-10. I don't pay a LOT of attention to Hunting and Target labels. Best killing bullets on the planet are labeled Target. A 338 300SMK is a Target bullet. It will kill things really well. Probably 300+ single shot whitey kills on them.
I would shoot a yote or some water jugs and see what they do.

Honestly the ELD-M is probably your best bet. The whole consistency part is BS but the ELD-M 162gr has a higher BC than its ELD-X counterpart, and from what I have seen both the ELD-X and ELD-M perform very similar to each other on game. Some results show the ELD-X may be a little too explosive because of the air pocket under the tip, but the ELD Match does not have an air pocket so expansion seems to be slower and less dramatic with them. Either way both bullets will get the job done at mid to long range.

. Some results show the ELD-X may be a little too explosive because of the air pocket under the tip, but the ELD Match does not have an air pocket .

Hornady's photos and videos on each respective product page days otherwise, about having an air pocket or not.

Hornady's photos and videos on each respective product page days otherwise, about having an air pocket or not.

The ELD-X has a larger air pocket compared to the ELD-M which has a much smaller air pocket. From what I have read online, guys sectioned them in half and found a very small if any air pocket in the ELD Match. This is why some are thinking the ELD-X expands so rapidly because of its much larger air pocket

Most "Match" bullets are "not suitable for hunting" only because they have a thicker jacket. Most will still function at reasonable velocities and reasonable distances. I've shot deer with "match" bullets before. Had the same positive results I did with "hunting" bullets. Shot placement is more important than whether the bullet says "hunting" or "match" on it. The only bullets I wouldn't use for hunting would be any cheap east-block bi-metal jacketed bullets or FMJ's. But that's just my personal opinion on that.

And in some cases, like Berger, the Hybrids and target versions are more controlled on the expansion and actually seem to be more reliable when it comes to expansion. I shoot Bergers, and am a big Berger fan, so nobody take this as me being critical...But as someone who has had several different bullet brands and models fail on game animals, I can tell you that none of them are anymore exempt from potential failure than any of the rest.

Try the ELD-M and see if it works. You might be surprised at the outcome.

Also, alot of those folks they hire at the "big box" stores are nothing but random DA's hired off the street that might know how to look on the side of the action and determine a Remington from a Savage...Becaue it's written on it. So, I would never put much (if any) faith in what those people at those stores have to say. Most don't know anything more than what the box says or what they heard someone once say on the interwebz about their uncle's cousins' brother's former room mate's best friend's experience. :rolleyes:

ELD match bullets are just A-MAX bullets with the new polymer tip. They will be fine for hunting. Just keep in mind they are toward the softer end of the spectrum so they may not be the best choice for close range shots at high velocity. Also not great for getting deep penetration at close range. Since 162s are on the heavier side of 7mm bullets this won't be as much of a problem as it would be with lighter bullets. That's one thing they addressed with the ELD-X, giving it a tapered jacket that would allow for good expansion over a wider range of velocities.

Most "Match" bullets are "not suitable for hunting" only because they have a thicker jacket. Most will still function at reasonable velocities and reasonable distances. I've shot deer with "match" bullets before. Had the same positive results I did with "hunting" bullets. Shot placement is more important than whether the bullet says "hunting" or "match" on it. The only bullets I wouldn't use for hunting would be any cheap east-block bi-metal jacketed bullets or FMJ's. But that's just my personal opinion on that.

And in some cases, like Berger, the Hybrids and target versions are more controlled on the expansion and actually seem to be more reliable when it comes to expansion. I shoot Bergers, and am a big Berger fan, so nobody take this as me being critical...But as someone who has had several different bullet brands and models fail on game animals, I can tell you that none of them are anymore exempt from potential failure than any of the rest.

Try the ELD-M and see if it works. You might be surprised at the outcome.

Also, alot of those folks they hire at the "big box" stores are nothing but random DA's hired off the street that might know how to look on the side of the action and determine a Remington from a Savage...Becaue it's written on it. So, I would never put much (if any) faith in what those people at those stores have to say. Most don't know anything more than what the box says or what they heard someone once say on the interwebz about their uncle's cousins' brother's former room mate's best friend's experience. :rolleyes:
I travel extensively around the USA. Been in almost every gun store in probably 35 states. I've met 3 people I would actually listen to in all of those stores. 99.99999% of the noob members on here will know a LOT more than anyone in a Cabelas or Basspro.

Just getting into reloading and have decided to try the eld x 162gn for hunting. I was at a cabelas today to pick up some of them but they didn't have any. One of the workers told I could use the eld match bullets because the only difference is that they are a more consistent weight between each bullet than the x. So I bought them. Checking on line when I got home It seems the match bullets are not meant for hunting. I don't want to waste time doing load development on them if I can't ethically hunt with them. I would have thought I could have trusted the salesman. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
if you want to, I can swap eld x for eld match, I have a bunch and prefer the match since i will be target shooting, and the bullets are shaped differently. I am in Connecticut
I have three boxes I can swap
Are you close ???
email [email protected]

if you want to, I can swap eld x for eld match, I have a bunch and prefer the match since i will be target shooting, and the bullets are shaped differently. I am in Connecticut
I have three boxes I can swap
Are you close ???
email [email protected]
Ummm, you replied to a post from 2016? What's the chance the OP is still looking for a bullet swap?

I use 130 ELD-M on white tail and have had outstanding success so far. I shoot a variety of 6.5 bullets and have for about 5 years now and I keep loading them for the rifles that shoot them well.