Hornady 7 PRC Factory Ammo Inconsistencies

Roughrice

Ok.
To start…my young neighbor (in south Louisiana) planned an elk hunt in Idaho and ordered an Alamo Precision Custom 22" 7PRC for his hunt.
He came to my range for break in, sighting and dope gathering.
Very nice, well fit rifle with a NF NX8 4-32x50 F2 scope .
He had 2 boxes of 175 ELDX Precision Hunters for break-in and sighting.
Velocity hung around 2830 fps for the day.

The following week he picked up 3 more boxes of the same ammo and came back for dope charts before leaving for his hunt.
As soon as he fired the first round, we looked at each other in amazement that the velocity was 90 fps slower. I looked at his 3 boxes of ammo and 2 were from the same lot and one was different lot. He shot 3 from the odd lot and velocity was in the middle of the previous two lots!
Anyway… we corrected his zero and doped his drop card with the two boxes of the same lot at 2740 fps. The Alamo rifle shot very well so he's set for the hunt.

I brought my 24" 7 SAUM with 168 ABLR and
shot a few rounds while his was cooling off and was posting a steady 2920 fps.

This was my first experience with the Hornady over-gloated, magnificent 3000 fps 7 PRC!!
How in the hell can a company create such a good cartridge design and market it so confidently but load factory ammo so inconsistent that it will disappoint the proud new owner of an expensive custom rifle!

Just a rant because I'm not impressed.
I'm sure hand loading will fix this issue but for $50/ box… I'd expect more!… especially since they designed it!

I'm done...

Last edited:
Don't expect anything more than you have experienced already in Hornady factory fodder, loading with quality brass takes it where it should be. Velocity wise, certain powders will get you there, of course, one of them is rl26, personally I'm having good luck with Retumbo and 175 grain eldx breaking the 3000 fps with good accuracy

ADG Brass, F-210 M's, StaBall HD powder and Horn 180 gr. ELD- M's, got my son 2,987 ave. FPS and group's from, the Low 3's to, 1/2 MOA out of, a 24" Proof Barreled, Stocky's Carbon Fiber stocked Tikka w/ an Elay Precision trig Spring, set at 1.5 pounds ( Nice / Crisp ! ).
Nope, can't give out, the Powder chg Weight out as, it's slightly over Max. per Hogdon's, Data ( Sorry ).
He will Use Horn 175 gr ELD-X , Factory ammo for Any, "Close up" Elk shots ( 300 yds or Less ) and they WILL Be, All the same, LOT Number !

Last edited:
Hornady tested and loaded their initial factory ammo with R26 according to sources. They have been having problems getting same powder, so have been substituting other powders, thus the difference in velocities. It's been documented in threads all summer/fall.

Recent Posts