Hornady 190 CX/ .300 PRC

cornchuck

Has anybody loaded the Hornady 190 gr. CX for the .300 PRC yet? I'm just curious as what powder was used. I have tried the 190 LRX from Barnes, but right now I am not too happy with I have come up with.

Christensen Arms Mesa .300PRC
1:8 twist

Jason

The hornady GMX was the only mono bullet I ever had that did not expand. Fired from my 280ai at about 80 yds on a white tail deer. Same size hole exiting as the entrance. Wont touch another. Went to Barnes and found the rifle didnt like the LRX but was fine with TSX, shooting .5"

Just seen where Ron Spomer and Backfire TV host showed if shooting mono bullets (all copper) you need to clean to bare metal in the rifle before shooting the mono's if you been shooting copper jacket lead bullets. They had some interesting results with group size. Made me think how bad my 6.5 Creed shot some 127LRX bullets that I may give another try after a bare metal cleaning on the rifle.

any updated info? i have some loaded with win 760 powder as was testing up with 190gr speer impacts
just need to check groups with the cx

Doesn't seam like to many people are trying this combo out.. I'm just waiting on a new hell canyon barrel to show up. Should be here in the next few month "ordered in January" I will be trying the 180 and 190 out. 28"finished 1:9 twist
Trying N570,N560,N565,N565,H1000,Retumbo and IMR 7828..

I've been shooting the factory ammo as back up for my hand loads with another pill. The factory stuff is unbelievably accurate at 300 yards two on top of each other less than an inch away. I wish there were more first hand experiences on elk performance!!

I just loaded 20 rnds of the 190 CX's for my Christensen 300 PRC MPR. I went with N565 and RL 26 FED 215's Lapua brass as thats what I have on hand. Im shooting suppressed FYI.

I went to the range today and only shot two of the RL loads and one of the N565 in each ladder and got an ejector mark… I started with working in .4 gr backward from max for each powder and obviously shot the lowest charge weight first. I seated them to what Hornady had for COL which was about .085 off the lands in my rifle. This seating depth you could not see the cannelure grooves at all.

So, I stopped. And decided to pull and reseat these to approx .030 off. Case fill even at the lower charge was heafty not uncommon for the 300 PRC. I am assuming that seating that deep reducing the case area caused the pressure. I know seating closer to the lands is more common for pressure spikes but this is my first experience where I have encountered pressure with a deeper in case seating depth.

New to monolithic bullets but going on a Nilgai hunt and want the added penetration. Anyone have any experience or advice here with these mono's? I know the 190 CX was designed for the PRC so not sure what to think.

Thanks in adavnce.

Recent Posts