Holland QD Muzzle Brake - 2 Shot Review

royinidaho

A Holland QD installed on my clunker 338 Win. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

This old geezer just couldn't take anyone's word for it, had to experience it myself.

As Napoleon Dynamite would say "SWEET!"

Only comparison is that it kicks less than a 11.5 pound 279 Win w/120gr bullets @ 3200 fps.

From off hand position muzzle jump is maybe 2 inches.

Will check the accuracy shortly, tomorrow evening /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I have heard that the Holland Brake is excellent at reducing kick but is pretty loud.
http://www.hollandguns.com/mbrakes.shtml

http://www.opsinc.us/brake.php

http://www.jprifles.com/

I have also heard that the OPS break is supposed to be every bit as effective as the Holland but quiter to the shooter due to the angles machined into the openings which are supposed to reflect the sound out to the sides rather than backwards toward the shooter.

This would be pretty important to me, ear muffs or not.

The Holland does look more pleasing to my eye. The 3rd brake that I hear is very effective but also loud is the JP Bennie Cooley brake.

Has anybody tested/compared these brakes and can say with any certainty that one is quiter than the other?

Still undecided whether or not to put one on my .300Wby Ultra light.
I had the KDF style on my older Mark V .300 weatherby and although it reduced kick, it was freakin so loud that I swore I would never get one again. If you shoot off the side of a steep mountain, all that noise bounces right back into your ear and can give you a splitting headache for several hours.

Regards, Vic

I don't think i'll ever fire another gun without hearing protection again unless the trophy of a lifetime jumps out in front of me. I hunted with too many old timers that couldn't hear anymore-- and that got me to thinking long and hard on it.

I have the HQD on my APS 7-270 WSM XP-100 16" barrel, and it tames it enuf that 2 kids used it this yr. to shoot long-range silhouettes, with no flinching that i could see. I've also used it with Wildcat 200 grainers with not the slightest recoil problem at all.

[ QUOTE ]
Glad to hear it , how bad is the muzzel blast ow as opposed to without the brake ?

[/ QUOTE ] Huh, what'd ya say? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The key part of your post is "Glad to hear it," I want to be able to say that for a long time.

The answer is I don't know how loud it was. I've never shot the rifle with out ear protection (audio muffs). Also I don't intend to. I'm one of the "old" hunters mentioned above. Hearing loss in my right ear is not due to shooting but loud radio in a noisey van for several years. I've already lost enough and the right ear is dropping off on the high freqs due to age. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

By standers who also had ear protection said it was loud(er).

The real reason for the brake was to be able to shoot prone with that particular rifle. The brake makes that more than possible. If I have time to get prone, I have time to don ear protection.

This rifle will be used for LRH (if you can call 800 yds LR) thus setup will be permanent for the day thus ear protection will be worn when shooting it.

The bottom line is that my first impression was very, very good. Second impression will this evening or tomorrow when I shoot prone off of that blow sand. If I get a face full of the stuff I'm gonna be grumpy.

everything about this brake looks good except i've read where,according to their tests, any brake that doesn't have holes in an even pattern the whole way around won't be quite as accurate as one with an even pattern.i realize there are awesome groups shot with this brake,but could they be better with an "even holer"? anybody?

heres a brake that i make and install for $110.00 its a super brake and they are not as loud and work very well. they are used on benchrest rifle and hunting rifles. web page

Dave,

I have never seen a measureable difference in group size on my rifles fitted with a Holland or similiar design compared to a radial ported break such as the Vias.

I have however observed some braked rifles to not shoot well as a result of poor fitting of the brake in alignment with the axis of the bore. Mainly from not reaming the bore accurately with the axis of the bore.

When you compare a partition style brake such as the Holland against a radial ported brake, both will have advantages and disadvantages.

With a muzzle brake, the faster the escaping gases are deverted, the more efficent the brake will be at reducing felt recoil.

Also, the faster the gas is released, the louder the brake will sound to the human ear.

So yes, the Holland will be a bit louder then the Vias type brakes but it will also be more efficent at reducing felt recoil.

One thing I personally like with the Holland brake and similiar designs is that you can ream the bore hole quite tight compared to a multi baffle radial ported brake. The reason again is because the gas volume is released so quickly that you can make the bore hole much tighter to the bullet diameter, which in effect creates an even more effective muzzle brake.

On a radial ported brake, you have to keep the bore hole a certain amount above bullet diameter because you are limited in the amount of gas that can be released in a given amount of time.

THis also depends greatly on the cartridge you are using and the barrel length on the rifle as these two factors greatly effect muzzle pressure is what makes a muzzle brake work. The higher the muzzle pressure the better it works.

So in my personal experience, I have never been able to tell an accuracy difference between the two types of brakes. Only that the partition style brakes are more efficent at reducing felt recoil.

313794.jpg

THis is the most efficent brake I have yet to shoot. Not that it is much better then any other partition style brakes but on my 338 Kahn, it reduces recoil with a 300 gr ULD RBBT at 3100 fps to that of a 22-250 heavy varminter. The brake on the left is a 5/8" Holland QD brake.

313796.jpg

This is the brake fitted to the Kahn. The reason it works so efficently is because the bore is reamed very tight to bore diameter and the contact area on the partitions is very large. The larger the area on the partitions the more efficent the brake will work. You will also notice there is no top ports either as there are with the Holland. In spite of this there is ZERO muzzle jump with this rifle but that is probably due to the stock design as well as the brake.

304228.jpg

If the rifle is built properly and the brake fitted correctly, groups like this will be the result with either design in my experience.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kregg,

What is the design differences between your brake and the Vias. They look very similiar, just wondering what the difference is.

Kirby Allen(50)

A concern with the Holland that I am fretting over is precisness of indexing such that the upper holes are EXACTLY straight up. I'm anal enough to wonder about mine and wonder what "a little off" will do "if" it is a little off.

It may take a bit more talent to do a proper installation as compared to one with all of the holes?

Looking forward to shooting in the dirt tomorrow. No holes in the bottom was a big factor in the purchase decision.

50,when you install a brake that has to be oriented AKA the holes on top should be in a vertical fasion,wouldn't want em off 10 deg. like Roy said,how do you accomplish this? i assume you have male and female threads with a shoulder on each.also do you put the hole through the middle after it's installed and what kind of clearance is a tight fit?

my holes are bigger on my brake and there is more holes in it and it works better and is alot cheaper. to check your brake to see how much gas goes out with the bullet shoot at a peice of paper 6-inches away that will tell you how good your brake is. when you do this with any of the brake's that i make all you get is a bullet hole. if the hole in the brake where your bullet exit is to big the gas will blow a big hole threw the paper. thats why i make my own brake's because i know the hole threw them are dead ture to the threads so my exit hole is only 20 thousands over bullet dia at the last 1/4 inch of the brake. www.parrysgunsmithing.com

this here is a brake that works so well i install it on the pueblo police sniper rifle's and there AR-15 its 3-inches long and 1-inch o.d with 100 percent all gas goes out all the sides in testing. web page this brake here is $110.00 made and installed. www.parrysgunsmithing.com

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.