Hodgon's extreme powders

I talked to Hodgdon about using that powder in a 6mm with a case capacity real close to a 6-284. They recommended against using it.

The Hodgdon website says that the powder is tailored for specific calibers

I suspect that they use a caliber-specific version when they load Hornady ammo, and what they sell to us as the general public is a "generic" version of the Superformance powder. Otherwise I can't think of how Hodgdon is special enough to make its one formula of powder work for some calibers but not for others. You may see a difference in some calibers more than others but nothing worse than that. Your rifle won't blow up just because you used it. :D

I figured the powders would work with most rifles, but thought it would be good to post what they say. What they really say is that the powder works BEST in a few calibers, according to them. I might try some after I get some more experience reloading though...it looks interesting, but in MN, I kind of need extreme powders, with the temp changes I get

I suspect that they use a caliber-specific version when they load Hornady ammo, and what they sell to us as the general public is a "generic" version of the Superformance powder. Otherwise I can't think of how Hodgdon is special enough to make its one formula of powder work for some calibers but not for others. You may see a difference in some calibers more than others but nothing worse than that. Your rifle won't blow up just because you used it. :D

What he said. Gunpowder is Gunpowder....no such thing as a powder made only for a specific cartridge. Talking every day hunting and target including the 50BMG.

i saw some definite temp sensitive spreads with the super powder in .300 wsm. had a great accuracy load at 50 degrees and at 75 degrees it was all over the place and jumped almost 80-100 fps. i tried it in .22-250 but think i will go back to varget as my accuracy was much better. tried in 6.5-.284 with nothing that proved any better than my h4350 loads other than about a 50-60 fps gain but not the accuracy

i saw some definite temp sensitive spreads with the super powder in .300 wsm. had a great accuracy load at 50 degrees and at 75 degrees it was all over the place and jumped almost 80-100 fps. i tried it in .22-250 but think i will go back to varget as my accuracy was much better. tried in 6.5-.284 with nothing that proved any better than my h4350 loads other than about a 50-60 fps gain but not the accuracy

That was very helpful Thanks !

With the super i was getting a consistent 2981 fps with berger 190's and only a 23" barrel. My groups were great for having a pencil thin barrel. .242" three shot pyramid group. (Any more rounds and barrel was too hot). Like I said prior, the reason I don't want to go with the super now is because I saw big velocity and pressure spikes with warmer temperatures. Gonna try Rl-17 its fast and its temperature insensitive

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.