• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED High Tech Customs .338-06 AI Rifle Built on 1980 Win M70 Action. Full Package w/ Ammo.

Ramblin99

This is a custom .338-06 Ackley rifle built by Rich Reiley at High Tech Customs. The foundation is a 1980-vintage Winchester Model 70 receiver. Of course, the action was blueprinted. It wears a #5 Lilja straight-fluted barrel that is 25" total length including the brake. The brake is Rich's signature slim-line brake, which is threaded. The bolt is spiral fluted. I'm unsure on the brand of trigger, but it has zero creep and pulls at 3 lbs 2 oz. average of 5 pulls. I'm not 100% sure on the stock brand, but Rich made his own stocks in the early days before selling his molds and technology to Bansner. The stock is painted black with tan speckles and has a nice sculptured cheekpiece. The receiver is nicely bedded into the stock. The stock also wears a Caldwell pic rail bipod adapter. The LOP is 13-3/4" and the stock wears a Decellerator pad in excellent condition. All the metal is in black Cerakote. The complete rifle weighs 7 lbs. 5.3 ounces. The only blemishes anywhere on this rifle are some wear on the fluted bolt shaft, normal scope mount tracks on top of the receiver that your mounts will cover, and two very small scrubs on the bottom of the bolt handle. That's it. The barrel, stock and bottom metal have zero blemishes.

I have not fired this rifle since I bought it, so I can't attest to the round count or accuracy. Because of the unique caliber, it's probably safe to say the round count is low. Rich's rifles are guaranteed to shoot sub-MOA with premium ammo and I'm sure this one will meet that requirement. The only reason I'm selling it is I bought a Honda Pioneer last week and some toys have to go.

I'm selling this rifle as a package. This is what you get:

• The custom .338-06 AI rifle
  • A set of $175 Redding dies, the 3-die set number 84437.
  • A full box of Weatherby factory .338-06 ammo in 210gr Partitions
  • 50 Norma fireformed .338-06 AI brass with a handful primed.
  • 13 standard Hornady .338-06 brass ready for loading and fireforming
  • 26 Hornady .338 185gr GMX bullets

The package price is $1,750 shipped. If you don't want the ammo, dies and components, we can negotiate a lower price. At this time I'm really looking to sell. But if you have a lightweight bolt rifle you'd like to offer in trade, I'm listening. I could use a 7mm-08. The rifle will ship from an individual to your FFL with appropriate ID enclosed. The remaining package components will be shipped directly to you. Shipping to Alaska will be $30 more. I accept Paypal FnF, Venmo and USPS money orders. Folks, don't let this custom .338-06 AI get away. Rich builds an awesome rifle. His slim line brake will tame the recoil very nicely. And you'll get a box of regular .338-06 ammo to get you started hunting right away. This is cross-posted. Thanks for looking and drop me a PM if you have questions or need more photos. If I can get someone to reply to this thread, I'll post 10 more photos. Thanks!

Keith

IMG_1292.jpgIMG_1304.jpgIMG_1293.jpgIMG_1294.jpgIMG_1295.jpgIMG_1297.jpgIMG_1300.jpgIMG_1303.jpgIMG_1305.jpgIMG_1310.jpg

Last edited:
How many rounds fired approximately ?Lastly have you chornographed the load. Any idea of FPS ? Thank you. Super nice rifle.
He says in the description that he has not shot the rifle. And that he doesn't know how much it has been shot. But I can tell you that it would be very hard shoot out one of these and with a 22" barrel I see 2850 with 186 Hammers in mine. If I didn't already have one this one would have been mine a few days ago.

Because it's a reload-only caliber, and because .338-06 ammo is hard to come by, and because it's cosmetically near-perfect and the bore is bright, I'm guessing not too many rounds. Could say with 80%+ confidence it is less than 100 just based on condition. And as Rusty states above, I haven't shot it. At my asking price, there is almost zero risk with this rifle. If the price was a custom rifle price of $3K, more due diligence might be in order. But at $1,650 for the whole package, this is a go-for-it situation. There is NO downside at that low price.

Keith

This is more than 3k to replace from Rich, and he is crazy low on his prices for what you get. I was in his shop yesterday asking him if he remembered this rifle. He has made a lot over the years and doesn't remember this one specifically. He personally shoots a 338-06; and says he gets around 2900 with a 210gr bullet, but he loads them a little hot.

Awe
This is more than 3k to replace from Rich, and he is crazy low on his prices for what you get. I was in his shop yesterday asking him if he remembered this rifle. He has made a lot over the years and doesn't remember this one specifically. He personally shoots a 338-06; and says he gets around 2900 with a 210gr bullet, but he loads them a little hot.
Awesome, I truly appreciate your input. I'm definitely considering this rifle. It is a good deal. I'm looking into brass etc bc I would be shooting it frequently.

Components are always a consideration for the more unique cartridges. Rich has been in the gun game a long time, his rifle is on the cover of one of Craig Boddingtons books that he built for Craig. Luckily for those of us that know about him he isn't out to make a ton of money, and has low overhead; so his prices for custom guns is pretty low. This one is an absolute steal. I bought the .340wby that Keith had for sale, also a steal. And if anything ever comes up with the rifle, just call Rich.

I'd like to continue to bump this to the top. I don't know the seller, but I have a semi custom 338-06, this is a legit cartridge and nobody above has exaggerating their speeds. Everything is seriously in your lap if buy this rifle from him. Seriously, this isn't a good deal, it's a GREAT deal.......