High BC .257 bullets?

Brian, fair enough mate. Nice sounding rig gotta love the sako action, mines got a L691 on her.
I am very interested in your data, please send to:[email protected]

BTW, have you played with AR2213sc? What result?

cheers

Hey brian i'm thinking of making a 25-243 ackley to shoot the 125 and 130 wildcat ulds. Do you know what the b.c is on those bullets. if you dont want to post it on the board e-mail me at [email protected] And did you shoot your 22-6mm ackley with the 100 grain rbbt? thanks again reed

XP,

1-7 is slightly more then needed for the 142 gr but it is still what I would recommend if you wanted to use both of these bullets. I have used a 1-8 twist and the 156 shot very well at velocities over 2900 fps. In the shorter barrels, a 1-7 would be perfect in my opinion.

Rock barrels will be offering 25 cal 5R barrels here soon. They will be getting the tooling in this winter they tell me so when that happens you would be able to get something like a 1-7.5 which would probably be the best for the 156. A 1-8.5 would be perfect for the 142.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,
Thanks! I'm seriously considering a fast twist 25 WSM in my MOA Maximum.
Thanks for the update on the 25 cal barrels.

SKip AI, Ok will send the data on rifle 2 which is the custom 25/06AI that I mentioned. However, I will split it into several files as it is a large file and would take forever to download if you are not on broadband.

AR 2213sc (H4831sc in US) hit the pressure limit at about 3,479 fps with the 100 grain bullet, which is at least 75 fps slower than many others with a similar burning rate.

I didn't try AR2213sc with the 115 grain bullet as I prefer to use powders that will give me a load density in the 95 - 100% range.

The powders I tested with the 115 grain bullet were IMR7828, Viht N165, VihtN170, Re 25, H1000, and H870.

Yes! I am getting form as a being a Sako and Rem 700 slut. My first centrefire was a Sako L461 Sporter in 222Rem in 1967. Since then I have had Sako rifles using L579, L61R, and AV actions. Regards, Brian.

I have found that Hornadys 87gr bullet has a very high BC.
When shooting the 100 gr, 117 gr, and the 87 gr bullets to 200 yds they all grouped into a 1.9" group.

Reed, No! I don't know what the BC of the 125 and 130 grain ULD's is. I don't have any 130 ULD's, although I do have some 130 BCFBHP's.

However, I hope to do a drop test out to at least 800 yards with the 125 and 156 grain bullets in my 257W in the coming months. I will email you the results once it has happened.

Have you estimated what velocities you might get with the 25/243AI with the 125 and 130 grain bullets?

I feel embarrassed to report that I still haven't tried the 100 grain Wildcats in a .224 Clark, and it now looks as though it will be another 2 months. The Krieger 6.5 twist barrel has been sitting in the cupboard since February. I ordered a Boyd's Boys JRS laminated stock in March, and was told it would take 3 weeks. It still hasn't arrived, but have been told for the 27th time that it is on the way!!!! I purchased a Rem 700 SPS in 270W in July, which I will use as the action for the .224 Clark. I already have dies and formed cases from the previous rifle, and plenty of new brass which I will form once the rifle has been chambered.

Several days ago, I decided I might as well load some ammo for that .270 rifle, and use it until the stock arrives, and my gunsmith is ready to go.

It will be interesting to see if the Krieger 6.5 twist barrel is any better than the others in keeping the Wildcats in one piece at over 3,100 fps. However, If I have to use them at around 3,100 then I won't be slashing my wrists. Regards, Brian.

From the limited testing I did with the 125g uld and my 25-06, I roughly came up with .515 or there abouts for the BC. THis matched my trajectory to 600 yards at least. I only bought 1 box of bullets, so my main goal was to work up a load and go hunting. They were very very accurate bullets, no load was over 3/4 moa. I pushed them to 2950 and I killed a big 4x4 whitetail with them at 440 yards.

Brian Windsor I have shoot the 100 grain wildcats to 3300 fps, caution very hot load. In my 22-243 ackley 26 inch pac-nor 6.5 twist. i haven't dusted any yet. You should be able to get between 3200 and 3300 fps in your 22-6mm ackley. Ramshot magnum works best in my short 26 inch barrel. But with your gun retumbo might be the powder of choice. E-mail me i can give you some starting loads from my barrel and save you some wear and tear on your rifle. Thanks again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brain I was hoping for between 2850 to 3000 fps with the 130 ulds. The reasin for the 25-243 ackley is simple laupa brass. I am trying to make a line of cartidges with very little recoil and idiot proof for deer hunting out to 600 yards. Most of the hunters here don't shoot and wait until the day before the season to try to shoot a rifle and guess there 300 and 400 yard drop. Most guys think recoil doesn't bother them but after you watch them flinch a few times, I start to think differently. I am going to put together a few long range rifles with scopes loaded ammo ect. And have them set up sighted in. load worked up, proven drop charts. In my experience most people can shoot a gun with 22-250 or 243 like recoil rather well. So a 22-243 ackley with 100 grain wildcats, 243 ackley with 105-115 grain bullets, and a 25wssm or 25-243ackley with 115 to 142 grain pills will more than do the jop on most whote and mule deer under 600 yards. I will set the guns with muzzle breaks and will be in the 9 to 12 lbs range. Just another idea I might try. Keep me posted on your progress

Brain, thanks for that mate, I appreciate it.

I went to Albury yesterday and descovered to my miss fortune that NO ONE imports Berger bullets into Australia any more.
Does it cost much to special order a box from America (one would think so!)?

What other bullet with a high BC would you reccommend?

cheers

Skip AI, I noticed in the latest (Oct) Oz Shooters Journal that "Gold Coast Shooters Supplies" are advertising a Berger Bullet Clearance. (ph: 07 5597 3220). Perhaps contact them first as they might still have the Berger 115VLD.

Winchester Australia used to import the Berger bullets, so it appears they are in limbo, as I have also heard that they have temporarily stopped importing Winchester Powders.

It is a complicated process getting bullets from the US, as the seller in the US has to get State Dept approval for Cases, bullets, etc. Graf's (US retailer) told me that process alone takes about 2 months.

I believe that your best option is to use the Nosler 115 BT (BC .453) until you can either get a source of Berger's, Wildcats, or some other bullet.

I have emailed you the first 2 of 10 instalments of the 25/06AI data. Regards, Brian.

Reed, Your report on the 100 grain Wildcats not dusting is encouraging, as you were using a 6.5 twist, and getting a velocity similar to what I was hoping to achieve. I will send you an email for your data, as it would be a good starting load for my slightly larger case.

At the moment Ramshot Magnum Powders are not available in Oz, but that might change. I was anticipating using H870, AR2225 (HRetumbo) and possibly AR2218 (H50BMG) with the 100
grain Wildcat in my .224 Clark, or 22/257Roberts imp 30.

I agree that the your 25/243AI should get the 130 grain Wildcats somewhere in the 2,800 - 3,000 fps window. Possibly closer to 2,900 than 3,000. Regards, Brian.

A bit off topic to some degree but I wanted to let you guys in on some testing I have been doing over the last several months concerning Richards HEAVY ULD RBBT in differnet barrels. I have come to the conclusion that along with twist rate, another critical factor in getting these bullets to perform consistantly every time is the percentage of baring surface compression by the lands.

In my testing which has included 8 different rifling designs and land wideths mainly with the 200 gr ULD RBBT 7mm bullet in my 7mm AM.

What I have found is that you want no more then 24% baring surface compression by the lands. barrels with more then this were tearing bullets apart from the start, even in fresh barrels.

At 24%, after 300-400 rounds down the barrel, the occurance of bullet failure increased dramatically but this was also in a 1-7 twist barrel that is simply more twist then needed for this bullet.

The Lilja 4 groove and 6 groove barrels in 1-9 twist compress roughly 19 to 21% of the baring surface and have been working exceptionally well with the long heavy bullets driven to high velocity, +3300 fps in fact.

I have also been working close with Rock barrels and they have designed a rifling design based on their 5R that has a very reduced land wideth. I just fitted the very first of these barrels to one of my test rifles and have very high hopes for its performance.

Back to the 22 cal 100 gr bullet discussion, I suspect land wideth will be critical with these bullets as well. In the 3 groove Lilja barrels you can not drive them over 3150 fps. In a thinner land 6 groove I suspect you will get MUCH higher velocity potential.

Just keep that in mind when you order barrels. Look to keep baring surface compression under 20% if you want to use these bullets with as much velocity as possible.

When you get the land design right, they are flat out amazing at much higher velocities. They are at any velocity but the proper land design offers much more performance to he had.

Just something to keep in mind.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.