Help with brass please.

Hugnut, I have seen that drawing before. It's a matter of fact, I have a copy of it printed out at my reloading bench. I was just looking at the case overall length. 2.494 - .02. Does that mean what I think it means? Minimum length being 2.474"? Ten thousandth under what reloading manuals advise for trim length? I'm not seeing any signs of excessive pressure. What I did notice is that my velocity was exceeding what the Hornady manual published for each given powder charge but no signs of excessive pressure.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the Nosler brass. Maybe it is alright but, it just doesn't quit meet my standards. It's not what it should be. I think I'm going to see if the Norma brass I found is still available. Maybe we are paying for the Nosler brass to be fully prepped and sorted?

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the Nosler brass. Maybe it is alright but, it just doesn't quit meet my standards
I would keep shooting the brass until you have to trim and bump the shoulder back, do it, and then shoot 'em again. I would repeat that process until the primer pockets are loose. Then discard them.
Don't sweat the small details in this game or you will go nutz. 😉

Hugnut, I have seen that drawing before. It's a matter of fact, I have a copy of it printed out at my reloading bench. I was just looking at the case overall length. 2.494 - .02. Does that mean what I think it means? Minimum length being 2.474"? Ten thousandth under what reloading manuals advise for trim length? I'm not seeing any signs of excessive pressure. What I did notice is that my velocity was exceeding what the Hornady manual published for each given powder charge but no signs of excessive pressure.
Apparently SAAMI allows a .020 variation in case length, .010 less than trim length indicated in the Hornady manual.

Possibly, a .30-06 No-Go headspace gauge might be considered.

Measurements that exceed .001 inches are not useful. Chamber pressures generated upon firing may vary by about 1,000 psi or so causing brass dimension variations after firing. New cartridges (brass) undergo many steps during the manufacturing process including drawing, work hardening at the base end & annealing at the shoulder/mouth end & this will cause size variations from piece to piece.

Bench rest shooters do lots of brass fussing (tweaking). I do some of that stuff to make 6.5-06 & .280 Rem brass from Norma .270 Win brass and I get satisfactory results with a common micrometer & caliper with measurements within .001.

Don't over work this stuff to shoot 180 grain round nose bullets from the 06.

Last edited:
Your "brass issue" seems like a non issue to me.....Up the pressure it will grow if you're wanting it to move.