Help me decide: Minimum caliber for larger NA game

I would lean toward the 300 Weatherby.
That being said I am building a 30 Gibbs to probably take the place of the 300 Weatherby in my lineup.
But you can't really go wrong with even a 30-06.
So many excellent 30 caliber choices.
I have a Kimber 84M Hunter in .30-06 that I had re-chambered to .30 Gibbs. It propels the 190 Berger at 2806 FPS with more room.

Nothing beats a long, practical, repeatable track record. In the Canadian north, indigenous hunters have been using the 303 British loads, in Lee Enfields to hunt everything up to polar bears... for a hundred years!

The Canadian Rangers have now switched from 303s to short barrelled 308 Sakos.

Since no one really expects the volunteer force to fend off Russians (although asserting Canadian sovereignty is a big part of their role), they mostly defend their communities against marauding predators, which they do, all the time!

Get a 308 Winchester and call it done.

Attachments

• huntress.jpg
    huntress.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
338 rum with a good brake may as well go all out I have one and it doesn't kick as hard as my 30-06 without a brake and it on a light hs stock or any of the big 7's or big 30's just put a brake on
Nothing beats a long, practical, repeatable track record. In the Canadian north, indigenous hunters have been using the 303 British loads, in Lee Enfields to hunt everything up to polar bears... for a hundred years!

The Canadian Rangers have now switched from 303s to short barrelled 308 Sakos.

Since no one really expects the volunteer force to fend off Russians (although asserting Canadian sovereignty is a big part of their role), they mostly defend their communities against marauding predators, which they do, all the time.

Get a 308 Winchester and call it done.
Or, get a 7mm-08 and call it "Done Better." 👍

I would look at .284 caliber, and above. If the kick is hard to deal with. Then get a muzzle brake added to it. 300 WM gets into a lot of those areas. They can reach out there too. Getting beyond 600yds, your rifle need to better grade. Especially going for 1000yds. If you don't reload then a 300WM is easier to get ammo for.

Recoil seems to be the principle deciding factor in addition to selection of game animals. The 6.5CM covers all smaller deer size game while I still think 30 cals are better suited for the bigger. Based upon the recoil factor I would suggest in descending order:
300WM in reasonable weight to help on recoil reduction.
300WSM same as above
30-06 will do it
308 Win will do it
The big plus is all of these are available in factory premium ammo.

Yeah, I'm not looking for something to do it all. More meant, since I already had the 6.5creed, what would fill that gap on the upper end for any scenario where the 6.5 isn't quite enough. I think .300wm answered my question
You said "Factory" is what you are looking for. This rifle in 300PRC, 300WM (twisted right 1-8") kudos to Browning for twisting rifles faster: https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/023614852766. https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/x-bolt/x-bolt-hells-canyon-max-lr.html
So based on your OP this should fit what you are looking for. Not too heavy, not too light, adjustable stock, and brake. Should be very manageable recoil wise, and with the right bullet will dispatch any NA game nicely at extended range. If you do your part and practice, practice, practice.

My 2 cents

PH

Out to 300 but capable a bit further, moderate recoil, and enough horsepower for anything on the North American continent the 35 Whelen is tough to beat.

If you reload than the 308W using 208 gr elf-m with 46-46.5 gr of Reloder 17 (velocity 2600-2625 fps) will give killing power to 1000 yds on deer and 600-650 yards on elk and moose … been there done that… at 650 yds you have a velocity of 1880 fps and energy of 1630 lb/ft … more than enough for elk and moose … the biggest disadvantage is the wind … to achieve the hits reliably you would need a relatively calm day but regardless the 308 win is a fun round to shoot with a lot of pluses on its side.
That seems to be a stretch to me. Alliant lists 48 grains with a 180 gr bullet to give 2641 fps. And you are doing it with a bullet weighing 28 gr. heavier?? Do you have data to go with your claim??

New guy here. Hear me out and throw your opinion in the ring. I own a Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creed. Has been an excellent gun, exactly what I was looking for, zero issue. Casual weekend bench shooting, can also drop a deer.

Now I'm in the market for something bigger or a step up in being adequate for larger game. I don't plan on any thick-skinned African hunts in the near future, so assume just North America, probably nothing more than bear/moose.

Thoughts:
  • I already have a 6.5 Creed, so I don't really need something specifically to overlap with that. I'm good up to deer, possibly elk, and looking for something in the elk and up range. Maybe I'm just a wimp, but heavy recoil does take some of the enjoyment out of it for me. I prefer something that I can comfortably practice with, sight in, multiple shots, and never be already preparing myself for the slam when about to squeeze off a shot at game. For this I love the 6.5.
  • I am not turned off by the chassis/AR-style look of some modern rifles. I do appreciate the modularity/adjustability, and adjusting cheek weld or length of pull is a must. Function over traditional appearance for me.
  • To meet some of my recoil requirements and to not get into the heavy hitting rounds, I'm content to accept that energy will only be high enough for my larger game targets out to 3-400 yards. At some point down the road, it will probably get a suppressor, so overall optimum barrel length is a factor.

Question: Lightest recoiling caliber, available in a gun model that is somewhat adjustable, at least minimally capable of ethical moose/bear shot at 300 yds? For sake of argument, ignore cost (of ammo), ammo availability, and assume factory loads. Not looking to build anything at this time, so a factory option in gun model and ammo.

I realize all of these are giving up something in some area or another, but options I have researched:
  • 6.5 PRC – really that much better than 6.5 Creed? A lot of overlap with what I already have, borderline good enough for moose. I do really like the recoil, ballistics, and lots of gun options. I hear people shooting elk at 1000yd with them, and while not something I plan to do, does make me think a good shot at 300 would probably drop a moose.
  • .280 AI – Hard to find options chambered in this, can get an Xbolt
  • 6.8 Western – Really like what I'm hearing about this one, meets a lot of my requirements, hard to find a gun I like chambered in it, also available in xbolt. Doesn't bother me that it's a new fad, and ammo is available.
  • 28 Nosler or .300 PRC – Incredibly capable rounds, I doubt I would enjoy shooting it very often, considering recoil. Would give me some ability to tackle even larger game. Maybe I could get manageable with a brake?
  • Sig cross/.277 fury – I like the portability/adjustability of the rifle, and think the cartridge is intriguing, but probably not much more adequate than my 6.5 for bigger game? Big pro here is the ballistics out of a 16" barrel. Even with a suppressor, a very small/compact package, plus folding.
Props if you actually read this far. All opinions welcome.
The 270 wsm with the same twist over the 6.8. The 6.8 wes is a 6.5 prc in .277 imo, pretty much. Winchester swung and missed imo.
Like you I pondered this. So I used a backwards planning to determine round. And built a 7RM 8T for the 180 gr vld-h. Its going 2900-2950 fps. Same numbers, almost (very slightly more dift), as a 300 wm. I wanted minimal recoil and enough energy to efficiently kill big game to1000 yards. But am now building a 33 Nosler for brown bear country hunts. Planning on using a 160 or 185 ttsx in the 33 Nosler. fast and flat for < 500 yards.
And right under the 7RM in energy is the 270 wsm. If your not building this rifle Id suggest the Winchester Model 70 Tungsten in 270 wsm or 7RM or 6.8 Western(if you must).
I am just disappointed in 6.8 Western. Smaller case and bigger bullet over the 270 wsm. Not that heavy for caliber bullets are bad. But what made the 270 wsm so good is its flatness to 500 yards with a 130 gr with minimal recoil, about like a 30-06. And still carries 1200 #'s of energy to 1000 yards at 7500 ft altitude, 130 vld-h starting at 3089 fps. My 270 wsm goes 3000 to 3300 fps with a 130 gr. My 270 wsm has killed a cow elk(1 shot), 3 mule deer and a bunch of whitetails. With a 129 gr Barnes LRX a 270 wsm will kill any North American game well, and shoot flat. Because the .375's are standard for hunting brown bears, pretty much, I decided to do the 33 Nosler for brown bear country hunts. Any reason to build another. Right.
Winchester should have came out with a 6.5 wsm. A 6.5 .6 g1 bc bullet going >3000 fps in a SA, nice.
If your going full custom and reload maybe look at the 6.5 sst or other Sherman rounds.
The 6.5 prc looks like a smaller 270 wsm. Its ok. The 277 sig. I believe its a AR round isnt it, idk? A shootable/minimum recoiling rifle for practicing more at longer ranges is smart imo.
270 wsm for under 500. 7 rem mag if you shoot longer.
And dont buy a xbolt. They have no aftermarket anything. Buy a model 70 or 700/clone. The model 70's control round feed and integrated recoil lug make it the best factory action hands down imo. My factory 270 wsm featherweight barreled action shoots .5 moa with vld-h, AB's and BT's 130 gr bullets with Norma brass, cci 250's and RL16 58.2 grs, at different jumps. At 3089-3142 fps. Had some factory rounds go 3300 even. Newer isnt always better and if you shoot under 500 yards the 270 wsm kicks the 6.8 westerns butt. Get the Tungsten model 70. Put in the Timney tigger with the new Razor HD LHT ffp on Warn low mtn rings and 0 moa base. It comes with a nice B&C stock. Or buy a lightweight model 70 and put it in a McMillan ultra-lite Game Scout, now available. When you put the trigger in, bed the scope base too. Good luck with it

28 Nosler braked, it is easy to shoot. great out to 1000yds or farther. Elk, Moose, and bears., with the exception of Brownies. Brownies minimum of 338 WM and 225grain bullets, 375 H&H even better. Brownies can be tough animals, and they have big teeth and claws....Controlled round feed when talking dangerous game...CZ, Win, Kimber...just what is recommended when talking dangerous game..

Back to the drawing board.... I had essentially wrote off the 300PRC. Liked everything about it, but had decided any reasonable-weight gun would probably have too high of recoil, even suppressed/braked. Now maybe not?
From all that I have read, if you are willing to break you will be fine in a 30 cal magnum. Remember, not all brakes are equal. Some are more effective/punishing than others. I pretty much hate them which is unfortunate, because they do allow you to caliber up for the same rifle weight. For me, 30 cal mag braked (not speaking from experience, LOL) or 7 cal mag suppressed. I will also add that I desire to stay away from the supermags like the 28 nosler I currently own and find the more efficiency/performance "sweetspot" (ie: 7 saum, 7 rm, 7 PRC-my pick). All that said I do feel the 7 cal mags are comfortably enough for NA. 30 cals just add more forgiveness for less than perfect shots (fair bonus). As I build up my experience shooting the 7 mags suppressed, if I don't find that the suppressor is doing enough to help me sight my shots then I might find myself willing to break and caliber up, at that point, to the 30 cal mags, but I am optimistic that 7's and cans are made for each other. I need to read a bit more but I think the gunwerks boys are happy with that combo, for example.