HeLp full length lee sizer die to short?? ***

blomqvistjs

bought lee pacesetter as i was new to reloading
pacesetter 2die set came in a red box
but when trying reload 300gr lapua mag
i cant set them long enough when my die touch the holder.
what to do? i have no other dies at this moment.

it was some limited production dies.

same. time bought some rgb 308 dies wich works great
for my l1a1 (fn fal)

The bullet seating die should not touch your shell holder. Here's how I set up my regular seating dies:

1) Place empty brass in shell holder and raise the ram.
2) Screw in seating die until it hits the brass. Then back off 1/2 turn. Tighten lock ring.
3) Back off bullet seating ram several turns.
4) Fill a case with powder, seat a bullet and measure OAL. Adjust seating ram as needed.

If you are going to crimp the brass into a cannelure there are some additional steps.

The bullet seating die should not touch your shell holder. Here's how I set up my regular seating dies:

1) Place empty brass in shell holder and raise the ram.
2) Screw in seating die until it hits the brass. Then back off 1/2 turn. Tighten lock ring.
3) Back off bullet seating ram several turns.
4) Fill a case with powder, seat a bullet and measure OAL. Adjust seating ram as needed.

If you are going to crimp the brass into a cannelure there are some additional steps.
This is the way it's done alright. If you have a problem after doing this then the die is not right.

okay. it was that easy. some guys told me their dies went over the case.. but i know they have expensive setups and maby custom dies. thanks 4 the help.

b, all new die sets are accompanied with an instruction sheet which will explain the same procedure El Matador described. I saw a novice reloader do the same thing you did and crushed several cases before he called my son for help. We all have made similar mistakes, hopefully we all learn from them. Good luck

i need to messure it tonight or in the morning.. would not surprise me if i have them setup after all bbut it hit me when i saw som dies thay wen all the way down

okay. it was that easy. some guys told me their dies went over the case.. but i know they have expensive setups and maby custom dies. thanks 4 the help.

Redding and Forster benchrest seating dies are adjusted until they contact the shell holder and then compressed even further.

The reason you can't do this with other seating dies is because they also crimp the case mouth when adjusted further downward.

el matador in his posting above gave the instructions for seating and "not" crimping. I think the old thumb rule was to place a five cent nickel on the shell holder and screw the seater die down until it touched the nickel.

Bottom line, many reloaders will seat and crimp in separate operations to not effect bullet runout and deforming the neck or shoulder. And if you increase the bullet grip a crimp is not needed in most cases.

i dont know if my pacesetter 2die set has crimp or not.
do you guys know? i dont need/want crimp

can i take it out as long as possible and only set bullet dept?

i dont know if my pacesetter 2die set has crimp or not.
do you guys know? i dont need/want crimp

can i take it out as long as possible and only set bullet dept?

Adjust your seating die as el matador explained in his posting. Also the instructions in the die set should tell you how to adjust the die.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.