Hearing Protection Suggestions

twt17

My wife loves to shoot and is pretty good but she can't do it comfortably anymore. She suffers from tinnitus and also can be sensitive to loud noises. She says it's gets it be painful. I've been on the hunt for the right gear to get her to be more comfortable shooting but nothing has been enough. Everything she shoots is suppressed and she uses earplugs and muffs simultaneously.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I'd be particularly interested to hear about the OtoPro brand. I've heard some good things, but with the price tag, I'd like to have a little more confidence in them before we pull the trigger.

Has anyone used them? If so, what did you think and what model do you have or recommend

I haven't seen any of their (otopro) digital ear pros better than Peltor comtacs. I think even sordin has better stuff now too, noise reduction wise. Maybe look into some Peltor defenders or something. Definitely look into the noise reduction ratings they are advertising.

You didn't specify what you (she) tried before. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that I was cheap junk. With that said, I don't think it's normal to have that much sensitivity to suppressed fire with doubled up ear pro on.

That's coming from a guy that who has hearing aids from hearing lost and brain damage after being rocked by a couple IED's. My tinnitus exist all the time. Just saying, without knowing any personal details, maybe this requires a doctors advice.

Last edited:
I find my surefire ear buds to be the most comfortable for in-ear and sordin pro for muffs, I like the settings and find them to fit my ears perfectly

Her hearing situation sounds pretty severe. Before I did anything, I'd consult with a qualified ENT or audiologist.

A guy in my shooting club had something similar. He eventually gave up all big bore shooting and became a rimfire enthusiast out of necessity. We all love shooting but our hearing and health comes first.

Goos luck.

What caliber is she shooting? Ex any new advice from an audiologist, you may need to move down to a smaller caliber.

Everything she shoots is suppressed and she uses earplugs and muffs simultaneously.

With that said, I don't think it's normal to have that much sensitivity to suppressed fire with doubled up ear pro on.

Just saying, without knowing any personal details, maybe this requires a doctors advice.
I agree that this probably requires being looked into by a doctor. I have substantial hear damage from working artillery/ M1 Abrams ranges. It didn't help that I worked at a police academy firing range so that increased the damage I got. My ringing is constant and loud. But it doesn't hurt when shooting while using plugs and muffs. This might be an inner ear recoil issue along with the tinnitus.

I haven't seen any of their (otopro) digital ear pros better than Peltor comtacs. I think even sordin has better stuff now too, noise reduction wise. Maybe look into some Peltor defenders or something. Definitely look into the noise reduction ratings they are advertising.

You didn't specify what you (she) tried before. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that I was cheap junk. With that said, I don't think it's normal to have that much sensitivity to suppressed fire with doubled up ear pro on.

That's coming from a guy that who has hearing aids from hearing lost and brain damage after being rocked by a couple IED's. My tinnitus exist all the time. Just saying, without knowing any personal details, maybe this requires a doctors advice.
I hear ya brother, after a few IED's my ears ring constantly.
I was wearing my Peltor headset every time too

I use Otto Engineering Noizebarrier and really like them. I've been using them for a few years. At the range, night hunting, yard work, chainsaw work. The in the ear is much nicer for a good stock cheek weld.

I've had these for a few years now and I love them. I've upland and waterfowl hunted with them I handgun hunt deer with them every fall. Mowing or running the tractors they're great too. Use their app and you can adjust volume level in each ear that's a life saver for me since my left ear is worse than the right. You can still talk/whisper with your buddy(s) when using them play music, or take a phone call. Like every electric muff/bud I've used you get some wind noise if it's gusting over 6mph but they're still usable. Take a little getting used to when deer hunting they're sort of omnidirectional and squirrels sound like they weigh 100lb till you adjust to them.
The foam tips that actually fit in your ear I replace every year they get a little ragged and don't want to stay in place but they're cheap on Amazon. I use these things every week mowing and they keep the tinnitus at bay.
Midwayusa has them on sale for $129 right now.

My wife loves to shoot and is pretty good but she can't do it comfortably anymore. She suffers from tinnitus and also can be sensitive to loud noises. She says it's gets it be painful. I've been on the hunt for the right gear to get her to be more comfortable shooting but nothing has been enough. Everything she shoots is suppressed and she uses earplugs and muffs simultaneously.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I'd be particularly interested to hear about the OtoPro brand. I've heard some good things, but with the price tag, I'd like to have a little more confidence in them before we pull the trigger.

Has anyone used them? If so, what did you think and what model do you have or recommend
I think if you're shooting suppressed with muffs and plugs you won't find more ear protection than that. I'd make sure by using the highest protection foam ear plugs along with the highest rating ear muffs while shooting suppressed. If she's still in pain then I'd say the pain might be coming from recoil and she'll need to be evaluated, or try a lower recoiling rifle. The other possibility is ear canal irritation exacerbated by foam plugs and recoil.

If she is using muffs over plugs and a suppressor--- no single hearing protection will be better for noise reduction

Highest rated muffs are NRR 31 (peltor x5a) --SNR rating of 37

Highest rated plugs I know of are NRR 34 ( moldex pura-fit)-- SNR rating of 36

Trade off of the muffs is the large ear cups and weight

Technically, muffs over plugs only adds 5 NRR points when used together but it's a world of difference for your ears

All electronic plugs or muffs that I know of are less than 30 ( usually around 23-26nrr)

If you pull up full spec sheets-- each model reduces different amounts at different frequencies --- if you check with an audiologist they can tell her at what frequency the pain threshold is for her then you can scour spec sheets for the best reduction at those specific frequencies