Hearing protection advice

Well, I ordered a set of the Walker Silencer 2.0 Bluetooth to try. Got them... put them on a charger, loaded the app.
They won't charge past 44%. They're going back. While they seem like they do a decent job with blocking sound. They don't sit in the charging case well and the charging light constantly goes off. I really didn't need the bluetooth because I won't listen to music, but I wanted it to make it easier to set the buds to the right settings. I'm glad I did, otherwise, I probably wouldn't have known they weren't charging fully.
Buy once cry once. Otto's are fantastic so far. Christmas is coming let the wife know you want this for your present.

They also work great if your wife snores lol..
Yep, GF too. She wears them because of my snoring too, when kicking or shaking didn't work. I tried different ones in my 30+years working in paper mill but these were the most comfortable and sealed better.

I bought some passive axil plugs that I haven't tested out yet but there is a filter plug that allows you to hear normally but is supposed to block sudden noises at unsafe volumes. I wonder if the pressure from the sound simply closes the filter to block it. I bought these to try for hunting so I can leave them in and not worry about batteries.

I am here to offer another solution

In the end, a life changer and more importantly a better overall noise reduction

I am a firearms instructor, and am in the close proximity to 40,000 rounds plus a year between being the shooter and a RSO

For many years In order to hear questions and be situationally aware of the activities around me and protecting my ears I chose to wear Walker R600 electronic Plugs and Ear Pro Gold tactical electronic muffs for extreme NR needs while high performance multi port muzzle brakes are in use.

If I'm using my shooting Rimfire I can choose one or the other or continue with both.

But….

Recently one of my 3 sets of Walkers went over the rainbow bridge and I grabbed the only thing near by " Apple AirPods Pro II "
With settings to reduce loud noises and ambient sounds allowed to pass through
My audio imaging was greatly enhanced compared to the walkers

Note I always wear them in combination with the pro ears Gold when near muzzle brakes
But it a beautiful thing

Custom plugs while a popular thing when worn alone do not provide enough protection to the bone behind your ear and many folks still suffer from damage due to not wearing complete coverage ear protection

The Gel ear seals are a great plus to long lasting comfort and protection as well

Only down the the AirPods Pro II is shorter battery life than the walkers so I bought a second pair so I have a spare and if need be I done have to wait for them to charge at lunch etc.

I own 2 pair of the walker RT 600 gen 1
One pair of Gen II and two pair of the Bluetooth Walkers gen I and II

The gen 1 versions actually fit my ears perfectly and the gen II design is fussy and not as good a fit

The AirPods Pro II are lighter and after 8 to 12 hours of continuous use are much more comfortable than the walkers

… and fantastic music performance as well !

You may want Look for a Black Friday Deal on both options but I'm loving this comp set up

I have had 3 sets of custom ones made over the years and the are all taking a dirt nap in the landfill.
@swandme686, My SIL who is a RSO in the Army just said the same thing about the AirPods Pro II last night. They are on indeed on Black Friday just got them for my wife and me. Thanks!

Personally I will go down to the craft store, they have a two part modeling putty (usually yellow color), a little vaseline on a Q- Tip swab the ears. Then mix the two part putty, throughly, then slowly push in to your ear. Get a small piece of bent wire with a loop in it, to tie a twine to at the end of the process. Insert the hooked wire into the putty about a 1/4" while putty is plyable. Let set in ear 15 min then remove.

Made up about 4-5 sets, one in the console, one in each pack or gun case or bag. That way I can not forget them.

PS the putty kit is about $35 dollars. Putty is very similar to the density of that of the professional custom sets. Been using these for about 15 years lose them from time to time just make another pair. Shoot skeet quite a bit, use these under the muffs when at indoor ranges.

Should be well with-in your 150 dollar budget.
I made a pair over 7 years ago and am still using them today, for some reason, l can't wear ear muffs there are the way when shooting.

I am here to offer another solution

In the end, a life changer and more importantly a better overall noise reduction

I am a firearms instructor, and am in the close proximity to 40,000 rounds plus a year between being the shooter and a RSO

For many years In order to hear questions and be situationally aware of the activities around me and protecting my ears I chose to wear Walker R600 electronic Plugs and Ear Pro Gold tactical electronic muffs for extreme NR needs while high performance multi port muzzle brakes are in use.

If I'm using my shooting Rimfire I can choose one or the other or continue with both.

But….

Recently one of my 3 sets of Walkers went over the rainbow bridge and I grabbed the only thing near by " Apple AirPods Pro II "
With settings to reduce loud noises and ambient sounds allowed to pass through
My audio imaging was greatly enhanced compared to the walkers

Note I always wear them in combination with the pro ears Gold when near muzzle brakes
But it a beautiful thing

Custom plugs while a popular thing when worn alone do not provide enough protection to the bone behind your ear and many folks still suffer from damage due to not wearing complete coverage ear protection

The Gel ear seals are a great plus to long lasting comfort and protection as well

Only down the the AirPods Pro II is shorter battery life than the walkers so I bought a second pair so I have a spare and if need be I done have to wait for them to charge at lunch etc.

I own 2 pair of the walker RT 600 gen 1
One pair of Gen II and two pair of the Bluetooth Walkers gen I and II

The gen 1 versions actually fit my ears perfectly and the gen II design is fussy and not as good a fit

The AirPods Pro II are lighter and after 8 to 12 hours of continuous use are much more comfortable than the walkers

… and fantastic music performance as well !

You may want Look for a Black Friday Deal on both options but I'm loving this comp set up

I have had 3 sets of custom ones made over the years and the are all taking a dirt nap in the landfill.
This has been a subject I started to pursue as well. I didn't think about using my AirPods so I looked up the AirPod Pro II's and found that they have a NRR of 8.2 dB. Then I looked up the Otto NoizeBarrier which shows a NRR of 28dB with the foam tips. So I am leaning to OTTO. I apologize if I missed a report already, Does anyone have experience hunting with the OTTO's? Upland birds and Turkey?

This has been a subject I started to pursue as well. I didn't think about using my AirPods so I looked up the AirPod Pro II's and found that they have a NRR of 8.2 dB. Then I looked up the Otto NoizeBarrier which shows a NRR of 28dB with the foam tips. So I am leaning to OTTO. I apologize if I missed a report already, Does anyone have experience hunting with the OTTO's? Upland birds and Turkey?
Yes, I've used the Ottos for several years hunting deer, turkeys, doves and pheasants. It is easy to hear the game walking through the leaves, the flutter of wings, and the soft yelps of turkeys.

Recent Posts