Handgun Powder/Bullet Choices?

MtPockets

I am looking for suggestions on powder and bullet choices for 9mm, 10mm, 45 Auto. Not hunting loads, so much, but just general accuracy loads.

I loaded 240 gr JHP for .44 Mag forever ago but havent got any notes. Seems like Win 296 was the powder I used. Is that still a good choice? Are there better ones these days?

Thanks in advance!

If you are looking at a factory type of load,I have had good luck with Accurate #5 in all of the above. You can take it to the top,but I've had good results with middle of the road loads.

If you want to top out the .45 and the 10 mm I've got this love affair with Blue Dot. I shoot a lot of heavy cast bullets in .357, .41, .44, 45 LC , .45 ACP and good old Blue Dot excels in all the above. Hard to come by these days. I've tried Lil gun in the magnums,but it seems to spike at the top end. I used 296 with jacketed bullets with excellent results,but gave up on jacketed bullets.

I do. Started in the 70's. Got into IHMSA and the cast bullet bug bit. Ended up using cast bullets in my production,unlimited,and revolver. My .308 unlimited gun would shoot 5 shot 100 yard groups under an inch with iron sights all day long.200 meter revolver groups about 3 inches.

Never felt that I could do better with jacketed bullets.

For 44 Magnum full power loads to go into a handgun and rifle (lever) you just can't beat W296. This is what I have always used.
For 45 Auto when I was loading/shooting IPSC we used Hodgdon Universal and I'm betting it would work in 10mm too.
Unsure what would be best for 9mm, but my data lists Universal and 124g jacketed only, all other loads are for lead.

Cheers.

I use Winchester Super Field, (WSF), for 9mm, 40 S&W, 10mm, and .45 ACP. Works great for me. I shoot cast bullets almost exclusively. I only factory jacketed bullets for self defense. Our state considers hand loads premeditated assault if they are used in a shooting irregardless if used for self defense. W 296 is a good powder for magnum hand gun pistol loads. Do not use it for reduced loads.

I think that H110 is the same as w296. At least they have the same data for both powders for 357 mag. I like Blue dot for 357mag and 10 mm auto but can never find it. So 357 mag I use h110 or Ramshot Enforcer
For 10 mm auto I'm still using 800x for hot loads. For 9 mm I like Accurate #7 and 45 acp, I don't hot rod the 45 acp so I stick with tight group or bullseye and the accurate powder's like #2. I'm sure that there's 1 powder that will work for all 4 cartridges but I don't think any one powder will give the best results in every one.
I haven't reloaded for a 44 mag since 97 so I don't have or remember what I used for it.

For general target shooting and plinking/practice loads in the .44 and .45ACP I use Unique and cast bullets exclusively. I don't load the 9 MM or 10 MM so I can't help with those.

I use Winchester Super Field, (WSF), for 9mm, 40 S&W, 10mm, and .45 ACP. Works great for me. I shoot cast bullets almost exclusively. I only factory jacketed bullets for self defense. Our state considers hand loads premeditated assault if they are used in a shooting irregardless if used for self defense. W 296 is a good powder for magnum hand gun pistol loads. Do not use it for reduced loads.
Wow. premeditated assault. How did things go so, so wrong in America. Good info provided.

I started reloading around 1982. For many years I used W296 / H110 (same) for jacketed magnum bullets in 44 and 357 magnum. It gave a great flash and a load report. Just what I wanted in my mid 20's. I used up many pounds of W296.

Later I discovered that the same velocities could be achieved using other powders without the loud report and the enormous flash. So I started using those.

Recent Posts