Hammer bullets

Wyo300, I shoot the 75hht in my 6XC @ 3600 fps 5/16" 3 shot works fine, it is close to 243. I use Varget
Thank you! I know nothing about HH in 243/6mm cal. I have a good amount of Varget. Having great results with 95 gr. In 257 Weatherby. Ok with 182 HHT in 300 wm. HH shooting better. 124 HH good in 6 5 PRC.

Last edited:
While I am not a big fan of hammer bullets. there is nothing wrong with them with the exception that you need to tune your loads to the bullet. not tune the load to the rifle. They are also inordinately expensive and you can get similar (maybe not exactly the same) performance from many other bullet designs that cost less and kill the game just as dead, providing you hit somewhere in the sweet spot. I've never had a deer complain that it was killed by a Sierra or Nosler bullet and not a Hammer. The deer don't care so why go specializing your rifle for Hammer bullets and make it impossible to accurately shoot others.
Ahh yes the old they cost to much while doing a relatively expensive hobby. Only trumped by the person saying it while drinking $3 beers at the bar. Lol
I can say as a person that kills over 100 animals a year for many years. It does make a difference. Will other do the same yep. But over a wide range and consistently is another thing. When I pay to go on a hunt the last thing I worry about is the bullet itself was $.50 more a piece. Look real dumb when you draw blood with a regular interlock and lose said animal.

I wish Hammer would bring out a line of higher BC bullets. The only place they seem behind is on BC. Other bullet makers have figured out how to make sleeker bullets, why not Hammer? Badlands had a good thing going with their super bulldozer. Apex has higher BC, a lot higher, for equal weight bullets. Berger, Hornaday and Sierra all have high BC bullets. Hammers aren't high BC.

For instance, the 25 cal Apex 108 has G7 BC of 0.283. Whereas the Hammer 127 HHT has G7 0.262. If one shoots the 108 in a 25-06 it will shoot as flat or flatter than the Hammer 127 in a 257 Weatherby. The bullet makes as much difference as a lot more powder, recoil, and barrel wear.
Give them time I'm sure it's In the works.

I've shot quite a bit of both, I'll never shoot a Barnes again, not nearly as lethal as the Hammer nor do they track through the animal as well.
Yep as have I. I tell everyone who swears by Barnes that hammers do everything Barnes does but better. Lots better. Can't remember the last time I even thought about grabbing a Barnes bullet.

While I am not a big fan of hammer bullets. there is nothing wrong with them with the exception that you need to tune your loads to the bullet. not tune the load to the rifle. They are also inordinately expensive and you can get similar (maybe not exactly the same) performance from many other bullet designs that cost less and kill the game just as dead, providing you hit somewhere in the sweet spot. I've never had a deer complain that it was killed by a Sierra or Nosler bullet and not a Hammer. The deer don't care so why go specializing your rifle for Hammer bullets and make it impossible to accurately shoot others.
All true but my reasons for using hammers are: less recoil, better accuracy, easier load development, and best of all I don't eat lead !!!!! Tribb P S. They may cost a little more but are always available and you can shoot regular bullets in faster twists . Also I under that increased speed will raise b.c. Also you probably won't use them for volume shooting at prairie dogs or such. Also get closer is under 400 yds and don't worry about bc. I'm sure your target won't!

Last edited:
As you can see, there are a bunch of Hammer fans here. I am not a brand centric buyer, but tried them and found they work as advertised. I started with 7RM 9.5 twist. My go to was Berger 168's and Nosler 160 AB's. There is nothing wrong with what I was using, but the HH131 opened my eyes. Sold the 7RM and went with 8 twist to accommodate more bullet options. To be honest, I still shoot lighter mono's in the new rifle. They are a breeze to load, and the extra speed they bring to the table is a bonus.
That's exactly what I'm about t try in my 7 mag the 131 heavy hammer.

The 117's out out the 270 is hard to beat. I'm curious why so many think they need to go heavy. It's not necessary with Hammers.
Kinda takes the 270 to another level don't it? Does the same for other calibers as well. Kinda like the hammer bullets are the Michael Jordan of the bullet game !!

I can load my 220 swift to 4400 fps with the 40 grain cutting edge mono. I'd like to see what that would do on a pig or deer. Probably a pig. I've got more respect for a deer but honestly at close range I think that little pill into the lungs would be lethal.
I did that last year with the 35 gn hammer hunter. 220 swift-AI chrono'd at 4473 average. Shot was 75 yards, the impact velocity should be 3879fps with 1170ft lbs.
Doe was broadside and it seemed to burn a clean 1.5'' hole right through both sides. Kinda like a lazer just burned a hole right through. Really impressed me how it performed with such an extremely small bullet.
I plan on doing it again this fall. I just want to keep the range short to maintain over 1000ft lbs

Ahh yes the old they cost to much while doing a relatively expensive hobby. Only trumped by the person saying it while drinking $3 beers at the bar. Lol
I can say as a person that kills over 100 animals a year for many years. It does make a difference. Will other do the same yep. But over a wide range and consistently is another thing. When I pay to go on a hunt the last thing I worry about is the bullet itself was $.50 more a piece. Look real dumb when you draw blood with a regular interlock and lose said animal.
Amen