Hammer Bullets in 6.5 Grendel?

This thread has me thinking of a ultra light bolt action in grendel. My 22" creed with eh5 scopes and ready to go is right around 6.5lbs iirc. Everything was Ti and plastic it's great to carry. But the grendel I would be able to get lighter by using a twisted barrel thin contour 18" tube no thumbhole and a bit light scope. I'll be shooting for 5.5pbs or less ready to go. It will be fine out to 300yards with the hammer 99gr. It will be a tough order but I really wanna see how light I can really get it.

A bit of a different beast, but similar in that matching magazine, case capacity, and OAL.
I've got a Winchester 100 in the works. 6.5x.284 "Winchester", and we mocked up the 99 Hammer, and it looks near perfect.
One would have to try it, but 90 grain Hammer might be a smidge better.
Coyotes, and wolf will be intended targets so mid range trajectory is important.
Could be the first time Steve has heard me say lighter might be better!

I just shot my last Grendel factory rounds. Gonna load some hammers. What powder y'all using. Got a noveske matched upper and lower and a Lija barrel.
What velocity should I be looking for. 18inch I think

Can't help you on either. First because I have not shot my 18" yet so I'm not sure which powder I'll start with. Seconds fps depends a lot on bullet. I personally think the 100gr is the prefect weight for that cartridge for a balance of speed and flat shooting.
That's why I'm excited to try the hammer 99gr. Good bc and low weight. Fast and flat out as far as you should be taking game.

I use/used IMR 8208, CFE223, and AA2520 with good results. I'd have to go look it up again, but someone came up with a subsonic load with 160 gr Hornady and around 12 grainsish of 8208. Google it.....not too many people playing with subs in the Grendel, so it should pop up. Hammers are on my list to try.....but I'm kinda scared to try them in a semiauto because they will probably shoot too good and I'll go broke, using them for targets and rats! :(;) I really can't wait to try them out though!

I was thinking I could shoot sub sonic at possums and coins on my land here in tx and no one would be the wiser!!!! Also pigs like the 300 blk out

300 blk is the way to go for subs. I had an issue getting any expansion with subs on the blk. The new hornady sub x seems to really work in the water jugs. Still a few days before I can test on deer but I will soon know if they work.

I hope to put some meat on theground this weekend myself with the Grendel.

I missed your request for some info in subs...I can't see the need for them so I have never bothered with them. Every shot I've seen on hogs while using sub (300BO) the second a bullet strikes the hogs are hauling *** so you might as well use real ammo. Doesn't seem to help even with a can.

When the bullet hits a bone...their gone!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.