Halloween Chassis Carving

Hikinghunter

Got my CDG action today. Love this thing! One problem- the greyboe terrain stock I'm dropping it in needs a little carving to you can see in the photos below. The rear screw on the trigger hanger (circled in red) hits the chassis and keeps the action from dropping all the way in. So I'll need to carve a bit on the stock. The bit of masking tape on the chassis shows what I'll need to carve away. I think I'll just hold a 3/16 drill bit against it to mill away a bit of material. Two questions.

1. Any issues trimming in this particular area? Supposedly Greyboe stocks have an internal aluminum frame. Guess I'll know if I hit it.

2. Would it be better to slightly over-cut so that the trigger hanger screw has some clearance between it and the chassis? In theory, the recoil lug is taking all the recoil, but I'm leery of anything putting force on the trigger hanger.

IMG_3764.jpeg
IMG_3763.jpeg

IMG_3762.jpeg

As long as your acttion screw holes line up with the holes in stock you'll be fine. I have the Ridgeback and the highlander.

Not aware of an aluminum frame, but they do have aluminum pillars lining the bolt holes. You will get into the rear pillar a little bit based on your marking.

Don't use a drill, as it will walk on you and look like crap. Dremel will as well unless you know what you are doing.

Use a "rat tail" file (small diameter round file) for this and take your time.

Also, you may want to glass bed, at least, the recoil lug area. I did a full bedding job on both of mine.

Recent Posts