Had an ambi safety installed, and got this instead

In your post #1 we see the scratches/gouges into the frame. In Post #5 we see the Safety Parts with a lot of unfinished metal. Question is did you receive the Safety parts from Les Baer like this in the picture Post #5??? If so why did you use these parts???? Or did the GS ruin these parts also??

I just looked in our inventory and use Wilson Combat Parts and had a Pack of STI Ambi Safety Parts.
The metal is very good finish.

Attachments

• STI Safety2.jpg
    STI Safety2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 38
  • STI Safety.jpg
    STI Safety.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 36
In your post #1 we see the scratches/gouges into the frame. In Post #5 we see the Safety Parts with a lot of unfinished metal. Question is did you receive the Safety parts from Les Baer like this in the picture Post #5??? If so why did you use these parts???? Or did the GS ruin these parts also??

I just looked in our inventory and use Wilson Combat Parts and had a Pack of STI Ambi Safety Parts.
The metal is very good finish.
They were not like that when I received from Baer, yes he damaged that area as well, complete clusterf*ck sadly, it's not even clean, polished, stoned, was rough as hell, think I found one possibility lol

Last edited:
Sorry this had to happen to you.

Thank you to KT Gunsmith for posting this:

Possibly, the thumb safety was just not flat enough from Les Baer. They need to be pretty flat with a bit of a raised spot around the pin.

…..or more likely, your smith did not do step 2 well….fitting to the frame so it moves up & down easily.

There are good 1911 smiths but they are a dying breed. Too many folks working at their kitchen table, too many semi-custom or factory custom and too many bubba's. It has made it impossible to make a living as a good gunsmith.

Fitting an ambi safety is not quite as easy as some people assume. There are two safeties, the hammer/sear and the frame that have to interact and you can't see how they're fitting from outside the frame. If you get a little frustrated you can "bind" the safety and thus can't remove it. It appears this is what happened and he probably used a screw driver to pry it apart. Just my guess.

Fitting an ambi safety is not quite as easy as some people assume. There are two safeties, the hammer/sear and the frame that have to interact and you can't see how they're fitting from outside the frame. If you get a little frustrated you can "bind" the safety and thus can't remove it. It appears this is what happened and he probably used a screw driver to pry it apart. Just my guess.
Yep think ya got it right

Baer set things up for failure by not cleaning up the part properly before plating. Then your inexperienced "smith" didn't know enough to look at the part and tell you "this isn't going to work unless I do some serious file work on the backside of this safety, which will remove much of the hard chrome."

He also didn't know how to pop an ambi apart without scratching the frame. I also an see he worked the safety back and forth a lot with the burrs on the backside grinding on the frame. You have damage from that and also prying tool damage on the upper portion of the fit area

Finally he buggered your frame rail by prying against it, and even managed to nick your plunger tube.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he over filed the tab that blocks the sear

Sorry you got a hack. Baer can fix it but it's going to cost as you've already figured out.

Last edited:
Baer set things up for failure by not cleaning up the part properly before plating. Then your inexperienced "smith" didn't know enough to look at the part and tell you "this isn't going to work unless I do some serious file work on the backside of this safety, which will remove much of the hard chrome."

He also didn't know how to pop an ambi apart without scratching the frame. I also an see he worked the safety back and forth a lot with the burrs on the backside grinding on the frame. You have damage from that and also prying tool damage on the upper portion of the fit area

Finally he buggered your frame rail by prying against it, and even managed to nick your plunger tube.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he over filed the tab that blocks the sear

Sorry you got a hack. Baer can fix it but it's going to cost as you've already figured out.
The more I hear, seems the less he knew, hence his not giving me a hard time. He made one bad mistake after another, his biggest was saying he can do the job. I don't think he touched the flat side that went against frame, my fingernail picked up may rough spots, definitely amateur hour. Want to hear what Les Baer says, as long as can be made 100% I'm ok, if not, he owes me a new frame. Thnks

That's why I sent out to someone recommended, gonna talk to the person that did that! Friend said he had a customer come in to his GS, everything bound to hell. Guy tried to install a safety, well they sent out to a gunsmith. The smith had to cut the slide off the frame! Not an easy job, that's why if you can't do it right, don't touch it! Thanks

The more I hear, seems the less he knew, hence his not giving me a hard time. He made one bad mistake after another, his biggest was saying he can do the job. I don't think he touched the flat side that went against frame, my fingernail picked up may rough spots, definitely amateur hour. Want to hear what Les Baer says, as long as can be made 100% I'm ok, if not, he owes me a new frame. Thnks
it's a 1911, just put it to work, start shootN it. give the old guy a break. U'll never wear it out, just swirl a litte Iosso on it, it'll be fine.

Sorry this had to happen to you.

Thank you to KT Gunsmith for posting this:

Possibly, the thumb safety was just not flat enough from Les Baer. They need to be pretty flat with a bit of a raised spot around the pin.

…..or more likely, your smith did not do step 2 well….fitting to the frame so it moves up & down easily.

There are good 1911 smiths but they are a dying breed. Too many folks working at their kitchen table, too many semi-custom or factory custom and too many bubba's. It has made it impossible to make a living as a good gunsmith.
Oh and great link!! Thanks there is no way in hell he did that procedure, did t follow step one, so doubtful he followed any others

it's a 1911, just put it to work, start shootN it. give the old guy a break. U'll never wear it out, just swirl a litte Iosso on it, it'll be fine.
Not an old guy, it's a $2300 1911 that is my pride and joy, It will be fine, after Les Baer fixes his "craftsmanship" he don't deserve a break, and if sarcasm, haven't had my coffee yet

Recent Posts