H4350 powder measure question?

Looks like the best idea is to buy several different powders. One for each caliber.
You can, but you are heading into unstable powders IMR powders have a big powder temp change, along with several of the Reloader powders too.
H4350, H4831 and several other H powders are single based powders. they are the least sensitive powders to temper change. Some of the double powders increase over 1.5fps per degree in temper change. H4350 is stable powder, and hard to beat. One of the best!
I use a Lyman 55 powder measures, and I have several of them. I one up to measure a given amount of powder for a type of powder, and that's all the measure is used for. I finish the powder load off on a balance beam scale with a powder tricker. The Lyman measure sure does cut powder, but that not much. It doesn't seem to change my load that much. Mostly due to powder scale to finish the powder load.
Other pointers: Keep the powder container at close to the same hight for constance pressure while dropping your powder load. I refill the tube at about 1/2 way, and don't get below that. In operating your measure be very consistent in using the measure.

can't seem to see it free. I just being directed to getting a subscription.
Weird! I just tried it under a new account got the same thing....maybe you need a first year subscription and then after that it's free with very minor ads.....sorry brother...but I haven't had to pay for it the past 2 years now...I will contact their support and find out..

I've been using a Lyman for about 6 years now to throw my "rough" charge and using a GemPro 250 to get to my final weight. My Lyman isn't all that precise with some powers and the GemPro gets me to where I want to be. Other folks may have recommendations on the newer units, my Lyman is a bit outdated. Like me...
It's how you dump the powder. Have to do the same way,same thing each time. Procedures and constance is the name of the game. Be surpise as just how close you can get with a Lyman 55 powder measure. Setup I generally use a single opening, not the spread that can be done.I hold back on total powder drop and finish with a scale and trickler.

Velocity change is ,29fps with H4350, and IMR4350is .64fps. Here a chart on fps change per degree.
Lets say a difference of starting at ambient temp zero degrees to an increase to 100 degrees and there would be a change of fps of 29fps.

If you were shooting at 3000fps you would lose 29fps and have 2971fps or gain 3029fps. What would that change your group at 100yds? 200yds?

Maybe my math is off?

Also the chamber temp after the first round would be much hotter than the ambient temp.

Last edited:
I don't think you would actually know what it would do to a group size unless you tried it in a specific rifle. Kinda like load development if it starts falling out of a node it might change at long range but I doubt you would see any change inside of 400 yards.
Where I've had problems with ball or non temp powder's is developing a hot round in winter and then shooting in Very hot weather and leaving a round in a hot chamber for awhile while I adjust scope and blew a primer. That was with Big game powder in a 30-06 and that's the only time I've had it happen.
Since then I won't try for getting as much velocity as I can out of ball powder's.

Lets say a difference of starting at zero degrees to an increase to 100 degrees and there would be a change of fps of 29fps.

If you were shooting at 3000fps you would lose 29fps and have 2971fps or gain 3029fps. What would that change your group at 100yds? 200yds?

Maybe my math is off?
Velocity gain/loss affects the elevation at the point of impact, but the group size is another story. I agree with @Rotten.

Lets say a difference of starting at ambient temp zero degrees to an increase to 100 degrees and there would be a change of fps of 29fps.

Maybe my math is off?

Also the chamber temp after the first round would be much hotter than the ambient temp.
I hunt in weather that ranges from -20 to +110 depending where and what time of the year it is. A 100 yds shoot doesn't make much different. A 1000yd shot depending on type of powder use can change your POI 14"+. Now there equipment out there that can figure the different, and you can make the adjustment on your scope to take that up. The question there is do you have time to figure that out and adjust your scope? Now I have held my shots to about 500yds. I generally use H4350 poweder in those rifles I hunt with. I can range my animal with my scope and know about the distance it's at without a range finder. My hunting rifles that I use all shoot at about the same velocity, and I don't to refigure my POI because their flight are almost the same. I generally use a 2x8 duplex scope, and the crosshairs to determine the distances of the animal. What I don't have to worry about is just how much different my bullet is flying down range in any type of weather.
I generally reload my round on the hot side of things. Above the reloading manual hot load. At times 5+ grain above max. So if your powder rate increases in fps the velocity changes or increases. So does the chamber pressure changes at the same time. It can cause big problems. Like blow the primer out of the case. That happen to me over 25 years ago. I gave away 16lb of IMR 4350 and IMR4831. I haven't used it again except for fireforming my case in reduced loads. It seem to be cheaper to purchase.
I will say I am about to finish my reloading shack and get back into reloading againl FINALLY! I have one rifle completed and two on the way. I am looking at extending my range with them out to 700+yds or so. I have to seen how the rifles do. Ill be writing about them here in a few months.

I hunt in weather that ranges from -20 to +110 depending where and what time of the year it is. A 100 yds shoot doesn't make much different. A 1000yd shot depending on type of powder use can change your POI 14"+. Now there equipment out there that can figure the different, and you can make the adjustment on your scope to take that up. The question there is do you have time to figure that out and adjust your scope? Now I have held my shots to about 500yds. I generally use H4350 poweder in those rifles I hunt with. I can range my animal with my scope and know about the distance it's at without a range finder. My hunting rifles that I use all shoot at about the same velocity, and I don't to refigure my POI because their flight are almost the same. I generally use a 2x8 duplex scope, and the crosshairs to determine the distances of the animal. What I don't have to worry about is just how much different my bullet is flying down range in any type of weather.
I generally reload my round on the hot side of things. Above the reloading manual hot load. At times 5+ grain above max. So if your powder rate increases in fps the velocity changes or increases. So does the chamber pressure changes at the same time. It can cause big problems. Like blow the primer out of the case. That happen to me over 25 years ago. I gave away 16lb of IMR 4350 and IMR4831. I haven't used it again except for fireforming my case in reduced loads. It seem to be cheaper to purchase.
I will say I am about to finish my reloading shack and get back into reloading againl FINALLY! I have one rifle completed and two on the way. I am looking at extending my range with them out to 700+yds or so. I have to seen how the rifles do. Ill be writing about them here in a few months.
You are an amazing craftsman! In Georgia, the longest public range is 225yds as far as I know.

I have a Pre-64 Winchester 300 H&H. I think it has a gas port that can relieve gas pressure away from your face is needed.