Grayboe Phoenix 2 vs. P2 Pure Precision Altitude Stock For Savage 110 Ultralight

RedBeard22

I'm looking to replace the stock on my Savage 110 Ultralight in 30-06.
It currently sits in a Boyd's Pro Varmint because the factory stock's forend touched the barrel when loading the bipod suppressed. The Boyd's stock was the only real aftermarket option for the 110 Ultralight when I was looking a couple years ago, so I had to go for that and have some minor modifications done. Now that there are some decent options available, I'm thinking about changing out the stock again.

I don't mind the weight in the rear and took it on a Montana trip 2 years ago without any real issues, but I also wouldn't mind shedding some overall weight. This rifle would (hopefully) be my rifle for a Wyoming Antelope trip next year.

Boyd's Pro Varmint is ~48 oz, 12.5" LOP
Grayboe Phoenix 2 is 39 oz, 12.5" LOP
P2 Altitude is 25 oz, 13.5" LOP

Kind of related: the gun is currently unsuppressed because of some harmonics issues that developed last year when the action and stock were separated to attempt to install a rail on the forend that didn't work out. It shoots great unsuppressed, but the zero wonders with a can. I changed ammo and that didn't fix it. Not sure if changing stocks would fix that issue, but that is a secondary reason for considering these two stocks. I have a Dead Air Sandman S and I'm also considering a lighter suppressor to help with the balance shift from going to a lighter stock, but I want to see if the harmonics issue gets fixed with my current can before I spend the money on a can that might not even work on this rifle. If the current can won't work, I probably won't buy another and just accept the extra weight savings.

I'd prefer 12.5" LOP over 13.5", but the Altitude would essentially make my gun weigh the same suppressed as it currently weighs unsuppressed. 23 oz. weight savings would be nice for carrying the rifle on the longer hikes in Wyoming, but the lesser 9 oz of weight savings of the Phoenix 2 might be a little better for recoil and/or balance. The balance would obviously be much more front heavy with the can, though, so that's something to consider.

Any experiences with these stocks? Are the Quality of the stocks comparable? Are the extra features of the Phoenix 2 worth the extra weight? I'm not dead-set on making the lightest possible rifle (hence the bipod and suppressor), but it wouldn't be bad to have a lighter rifle.

Current weight (Unsuppressed, no bipod) is about 9 lbs, 6 oz.

Recent Posts