GPO 10 x 40 Rangefinder binoculars review

AZShooter

Thanks to Cameraland I won a GPO 10 x 40 rangefinder binocular! Doug asked me to post a review.

When I opened the package, I was immediately impressed with the small size and light weight of 26 oz. The box contained a firm sided double zipper storage case, lens covers and the usual straps.

I wasn't sure if the battery was installed. First push of button confirmed it was. I immediately went outside to look at things. The clarity is excellent on par with my 10 x 42 Leica Geovid HD rangefinder binos. My Swarovski 12 x 42 NL Pures are better but IMO nothing could beat them.

The focus knob is firm not sloppy. Adjustments for interocular distance, eye cup depth were like most binoculars. Each ocular has a diopter adjustment ring. There are two buttons on top right side. The larger one is for function the smaller one for programming. I was pleased with the placement and size of the buttons. It was easy to find them by feel. With so many rangefinders I often have to look to find the button(s) Sounds funny describing this, but this setup is user friendly.

The menu button took a bit of trial and error to use. That could be due to me being in my middle 70s and using all these recently created gizmos requires more effort for me that younger folks who grew up with buttons and programming for everything. ( Heck, some digital clocks drive me nuts with their programming)

I got it set for what I want now. Shows yards for distance and second value underneath for distance adjusted for angle. There are other options for temperature, humidity and air pressure! Users more adept than me, could toggle around and use them quickly to get all the data needed for longer shots. I am happy to have it set for distance and angle/ distance.

I began ranging on Pusch Ridge, (Tucson) near my house. Got fast readings out to 1900 yards. Couldn't get a reading past the reason is most likely the angle of reflection as I was looking uphill. Rangefinder is supposed to range out to 3500 yards, obviously with ideal conditions.

Caught sight of a hawk soaring near the cliffs. Was able to focus in and follow it to identify it as a cooper's hawk 2000 or so yards away! Did the usual ranging all over the place on telephone poles, houses, saguaros, bushes etc. received instant readings. Zoomed in on a mourning dove at 15 yds and had excellent detail. I like the binoculars so much I will be taking them on boating trips just for viewing. First serious use will be on a coues wt hunt early November.

You can read about them here: