Go Solar?

It depends on your energy rates. I looked into it and fortunately have a friend in solar. He wasn't local so he reviewed the quote.

Basically, with my energy usage and current rates, the breakeven was about 15 years out. My friend advised I wait. He said at that point in time I would be looking at replacing things, the most expensive part being the converter (or inverter whatever it's called). He also said the panels have a 15-20 year life and panels are getting more efficient. So I would be close to the end of their life at my breakeven point.

Now there is a caveat energy rates may go up. He used 5 or 6% per year, I don't recall.

My buddy lives in California and their breakeven was 4-5 years for the rates in his area so it makes more sense.

It depends on your energy rates. I looked into it and fortunately have a friend in solar. He wasn't local so he reviewed the quote.

Basically, with my energy usage and current rates, the breakeven was about 15 years out. My friend advised I wait. He said at that point in time I would be looking at replacing things, the most expensive part being the converter (or inverter whatever it's called). He also said the panels have a 15-20 year life and panels are getting more efficient. So I would be close to the end of their life at my breakeven point.

Now there is a caveat energy rates may go up. He used 5 or 6% per year, I don't recall.

My buddy lives in California and their breakeven was 4-5 years for the rates in his area so it makes more sense.
They wanted to see if I would save anything. Sent them my 12 mo power bill. They wanted to have a sit down.

They will probably set your payment just a few dollars lower than your power bill and sell you on what you will save.

If it's like SunRun or SolarCity, they make it appealing, but in my case, I didn't really gain anything.

We put 65 panels (max allowable here) on our barn and they generate about $1000 a month in electricity which offsets the barn, the house and the pool with a little left over. The problem is that there are constant problems: 1- The electric company made the process as difficult as possible including coming up with "new" fees for us using solar which they turn around and sell at a premium. 2- The system is constantly malfunctioning. It was designed and built by a very reputable company but never the less we have had tons of issues. Its monitored by a company out of state so when there is a issue its a huge hassle to get help.

In hindsight I feel like it was a colossal waste of money.

Have used alternative occasionally, my cabin is in a village that perpetually has imbezzlement issues... even with the hydro funded buy uncle sugar... err uncle Sam kw hr has ranged between .60s and as high as .93cents. We get good light and just enough intensity June July and August, but even the quality panels suffered in the wind in the fall and the ones that survived were placed in the attic and not the roof and were never re installed.

Friend did the wind power and was very pleased with the results until they kept loosing breaks and coming undone/catching fire. His 3rd went up and was visible from my window, quite the show... guess he ended up getting 3 years outta number 4 but it was 18k with pole..

My setup is 4 8d batteries, my old trace inverter/charger and a high hour izusu from my boat. Run it 2 hrs a day it burns about a gallon and a half, gets the freezer and fridge down, cooks some meals and gets the batteries charged. Even at the highest rate of energy probably in the USA diesel still wins for me.

I will say that our system is grid tied and not using battery storage. We discussed taking the whole thing "off grid" and using our NG whole house generator as a back up but have not done it

I always wonder if solar was so good why doesn't China us it to make all of their electricity? They are the largest manufacturer of solar panels. And yet they are using coal plants and if need use oil to make their electricity. Is Biden subsidizing the solar programs here in the US?

I have been looking at solar for quite a while. The crossing for savings is always a crap shoot. The biggest issue is EFFICIENT power storage. Lithium whole house batteries seem to be best option but prob need 4-6 to get what you need to replace full capacity. The lithium fire concern is huge for your insurance company and discussions I have had may cancel if installed in connected garage. Fire suppression systems do not work on lithium. A lithium fire is crazy impossible to put out. Local FD will not likely have required fire suppression to put out a lithium fire. Though EV lithium battery fires is getting a lot of attention. If you place them outside in unheated storage, their efficiency goes down quite a bit in winter. Wind turbines can be effective but just like solar, power storage main issue.

I have following hydrogen as developing power source and has potential in future.

Personally, I am waiting for:
IMG_9864.jpeg