GMO free game birds for eating Training your bird dogs Question.

MI.264

I'm doing some research to see if there might be a call for me to start raising game birds.
Quail Chukers Pheasants.
For the purpose of eating, as well as training your dogs.

I think to make this work on my end of things I would need to connect with bird hunter/trainers clubs like Pheasants forever the ruffed grouse society ect..

If you'd all be willing to give me some feed back on this it will help me to see if there may be a market for organic .non- GMO game birds.
Thanks.
1729702004152.png

Hey MI264, I don't know if Pheasants Forever would be helpful in this endeavor. I'd be looking for restaurants, butcher markets, etc to see if they would like to buy birds. Most serious bird trainers use pigeons because they're easy and tough birds. All the hunt type Clubs usually raise their own birds.
Good luck and Take Care

When I was a teenager I sold pigeons to dog trainers and hunt clubs in the thumb area of MI. I would catch them at night in barns and silos.
Take Care

How much more are you going to charge than ones who eat non organic or gmo feed? Trainers aren't going to want to pay a nickel more for all that organic/non-gmo stuff. If you were selling ducks higher because of it, I would not buy them from you.

When I was a teenager I sold pigeons to dog trainers and hunt clubs in the thumb area of MI. I would catch them at night in barns and silos.
Take Care
How much more are you going to charge than ones who eat non organic or gmo feed? Trainers aren't going to want to pay a nickel more for all that organic/non-gmo stuff. If you were selling ducks higher because of it, I would not buy them from you.
Well my take on the Health food industry (Big Business, is, I personal think it mostly turned into a money market piece of pigeon poop to say the least. Maybe I need to use the word Natural grown and raised, but use the the most known word so that folks would understand what I was , am, trying to do, and what I'm talking about. So with all that said I want to keep prices at a just above cost to me. The only way I see as of now to makes this work is to have a market to hunters, trainers families who want to have an option for quality meet. As Ricky C said restaurants. I would have to seek out as many outlets as possible, and here is my start. Talking to those who are bird hunters, and trainers.

My father raised them for years at my present home . Great eggs just need to double up on them . He sold them to several places and was licensed so he could sell live or processed with a tag to make them legal . It is a lot of work , but I was in my 20s and we would shoot them instead of clay pigeons ! We also had the best trained Springer Spaniels , put them in the pens with the birds as pups . I quit carrying my shotgun and let dog catch them . Best thing was if we released them at our place and didn't shoot them , they would come back to the pen !

Well my take on the Health food industry (Big Business, is, I personal think it mostly turned into a money market piece of pigeon poop to say the least. Maybe I need to use the word Natural grown and raised, but use the the most known word so that folks would understand what I was , am, trying to do, and what I'm talking about. So with all that said I want to keep prices at a just above cost to me. The only way I see as of now to makes this work is to have a market to hunters, trainers families who want to have an option for quality meet. As Ricky C said restaurants. I would have to seek out as many outlets as possible, and here is my start. Talking to those who are bird hunters, and trainers.
Raise mallards too, there was a shortage of birds for a lot of tests and trials.

Doing pure organic/non-gmo will be expensive. Like you said natural grown or have a big flight pen with natural habitat and call it free range like the chicken people do. I'll bet a lot of birds are eating gmo and or non-organic grains in the wild because it's what most farmers are going to be growing. We have people try to do the organic thing with pork and the cost is astronomical and they can't recoup the cost at competitive market prices.

Raise mallards too, there was a shortage of birds for a lot of tests and trials.

Doing pure organic/non-gmo will be expensive. Like you said natural grown or have a big flight pen with natural habitat and call it free range like the chicken people do. I'll bet a lot of birds are eating gmo and or non-organic grains in the wild because it's what most farmers are going to be growing. We have people try to do the organic thing with pork and the cost is astronomical and they can't recoup the cost at competitive market prices.
You are correct GSRetrievers, again why that has gotten so out of hand cost wise. I've been around this rotation of the sun for 66 years, and the one thing i have learn is no one can make it a 100% Organic anything, but we can try and be as chemically free as possible.
If one can grow their feed without chemicals herbicides and pesticides and keep the country from sending the crop dusters out, that's our best chance