Getting back into shape after heart surgery

My heart rate before the ablasion was 150 at rest when in afib.

Oddly enough I caused the docs to pay attention real quick. My resting heart rate was about 50 so kinda low. when I checked into the hospital with afib my heart rate was like 35 not 135 just 35.

Omg...that's insane.

Elkeater, that's nuts man. I'm 30. I didnt think things like that happen to us at our age. I thought being in good shape and eating healthy does the trick. Maybe being young will help you bounce back quicker.

That's what I thought too. I eat healthy, work out, hell my job has physical fitness requirements. Doc thinks it's genetic but they don't know for sure. Doc did say now that I've had the surgery eating right and exercise can help control it.

Younger fellow I work with had a bout with it. He does firefighter charity stair climbs, and is back at it. Hope it's the same for you.

My Pops has been through a quintuple bypass and a couple of other heart issues and still hunts... As long as you are healed physically and you can stand exercise similar to the rigors of the hunt you will be just fine. Make sure you can get in contact with others if needed (cell phone, etc.) if you are worried, but what the hell are you living for if you can't do things you enjoy.

Well I've been working out this week everyday. I can't run yet very well. I seem to get tired at about 2 miles running and about 5 pull ups in the weight room. Just get winded easy it seems but at least I feel like I'm starting back down the right road.

Well they put me through a stress test wed. Treadmill style .
I'm doing good but had a bad afternoon that day I was totally whipped .
Ended up on incline level 15 and speed at 4.5 ..I was completely soaked at the end.
This is the start of my High intensity training .
You keep up the training , you will be back soon Elkeater !!

Good luck on your recovery . I'm sure the dr will allow you to work up slowly and be back going in no time .

Well I've been working out this week everyday. I can't run yet very well. I seem to get tired at about 2 miles running and about 5 pull ups in the weight room. Just get winded easy it seems but at least I feel like I'm starting back down the right road.

So one thing I noticed about pull ups is as soon as you put on any mass or little bit of weight pulls get harder. I Remember when I was 160lbs I could knock out 20 straight hang pulls up. Now that I'm 190 the endurance just isn't there. You have to take everything into account when you get older.

I guess I'd better consider my self very fortunate, I'll be 77 next month and I'm still working. I'm a mfg. rep in the fishing and hunting industry and have only had arthroscopic surgery on one knee. Very thankful for my Wish you all the same.

My nephew of 28 died a couple of days ago due to a massive heart attack. He was not at all over weight and appeared in good shape since he had a regular regime of weight lifting. Coroner said his arteries were completely blocked. Point is we never know what we are walking around with and it is a good idea to have those regular check ups even if we don't think we need to.

My nephew of 28 died a couple of days ago due to a massive heart attack. He was not at all over weight and appeared in good shape since he had a regular regime of weight lifting. Coroner said his arteries were completely blocked. Point is we never know what we are walking around with and it is a good idea to have those regular check ups even if we don't think we need to.

How does that happen?! I bet if he went to a doctor for a check up the doctor would've look him over once and say, "Ah you're healthy, head on Home." I only say that because last year I thought I was having a heart attack and the doctors were like bro you're fine. Your BP and pulse are good, you're in good shape, and you're young. That's all they did was pulse and BP.

I'm sorry for your loss.

morning, heart disease in inherited. genetic. both my grandfathers,
father, brother, and myself have had heart disease. grandfathers and
father passed because heart disease. I had 5bypasses June 16, 2017.
brother had 3bypasses.
I have been very althetic thru out my younger years. army ranger,
aircraft mechanic/inspector, took karate, 5 years, lifted weights for
20 years, used to chop and sell fire wood.
hunt, fish, used to ran but knees stop the running
I will b 73 this year. thank u god. people can b fit all they want.
ur heritage and genetics will kill u. I had a fabulous heart
surgeon. the doctor told me ur heart is very strong, the arteries
were clogged. heart surgery will kick ur butt. a year ++
later, I am still recovering from the surgery. wanted
to go to gym and start a weight lifting program. the
split in ur chest will not let u. every day is a blessing.
very thankful the good lord gives me extra days to
hunt, fish and do the activities I enjoy. justme gbot tum

Not quite the same issue as you, but at 34 I had Bunch of blood clots in my lungs and leg from a genetic condition. Had a major blood clot in pulmonary artery and dealt conditions very similar to a heart attack. Lost a small portion of my lung and am on blood thinners for life, and had an intravenous surgery through my heart. Spent 10 days in hospital. A few months prior I spent 9 days at 10,000 ft in colorado on a mule deer hunt. Recovery was pretty brutal for me on a few fronts. My lung took major time to heal. I tried to exercise too soon and it became inflamed. It took me about 16 months before I started to have any real endurance. Major milestones. 6 months after the incident I was able to make a 1,000 ft climb over a mile distance without stopping. Took around 47 minutes, 20 mins slower than my fastest time, but I made it. 9 months after hiked above 7,000 feet for a few miles with a gradual grade. 16 months out started to feel normal again and have regained much of my endurance. My advice. Follow doctors orders and don't push it unless you are told to. Take some time to build back up to your previous level of activity. It may be frustrating (I spent months on the couch with an oxygen tank like an old geezer) but take time to ease back into it. Set goals, but push less than what you did before. Lots of treadmill, bike and hike. Mix in higher intensity as you become able, but not before you are able. The biggest challenge is the mental battle as you struggle through the recovery process. Its hard. Talk to people about it. Its can be tough, but if you are diligent you will be back on the mountain. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts