• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

German drilling

therifleman556

Here is an old German drilling that would be gorgeous if someone had left the stock alone. Someone put a screw though the stock for reasons I can't understand. It has a cheek piece for a lefty shooter. The shotgun barrels are 16 gauge (probably 2 9/16" chambers) and the rifle barrel is most likely 9.3x72 rimmed caliber (there is a marking under the barrel that says 8.67/72mm but from what I've read that is bore diameter not bullet size). I don't even know if this functions but the lockup is tight. The shotgun bores have light surface rust but are smooth and don't looked pitted. The rifle bore is stunning; very clean and looks like it's seen very little use. One very neat feature is the selector on the tang (which I assume selects rifle or shotgun) when pushed forward also deploys the rear sight which otherwise lays flat and out of view. The butt stock has a cartridge storage box in the toe. It also has a recoil pad added and has a small repair at the toe as well. Asking price on these seems to be anywhere from around $3000 to sky is the limit. This one obviously needs work so I am asking $1300 shipped in the lower 48.
KIMG0639.JPG

KIMG0642.JPG

KIMG0643.JPG

KIMG0653.JPG

KIMG0649.JPG

KIMG0655.JPG

The last picture shows the trigger guard which is not metal. It looks like plastic, but given the guns age I wonder if it isn't some sort of horn.

I love those drillings! Trigger guard is probably horn.....most were, unless it's a repair. Screw is probably to repair a spreading of the thin slabs in the grip area. Good price, if I had the money I'd be all over it!

Thanks guys! I'm working on getting an accurate date. If made before 1898 (which I believe it is), it can be shipped direct to an individual.

Last edited:
Great. some of those you can come across not proofed and it is always good to know. I have a soft spot in my heart for drillings unfortunately I am unemployed at the moment

Nice Prussian era drilling. Modern ammo not recommended to shoot out of it.. Such great craftsmanship compared to the classless crap sold in the US markets today....

Still available. Date of manufacture looks to be March of 1927. Lots of proof marks under the fore stock. Proofed for nitro loads on all three barrels. This is likely a guild gun and probably not worth as much as your Merkels or Sauers, but still a lot of hand fitting and engraving. Lockup is very tight, sounds just like snapping the barrels closed on a Citori.