Gear priorities

Besides what was mentioned before, if you happen to hunt a desert area like AZ, NV, or NM you will need rip stop clothing to protect against cacti and other plants with thorns, and the lighweight type so it will also help with the heat, the days are usually warm even in winter. And as mentioned already many times on the thread at least 2 sets of good boots, not insulated.

I'm from Wisconsin too, and hunt out west. I will be very specific, as "good" to guys like us who walk 1000 yards and climb a tree, and glass animals at 300 yards are very different to those out west.

This is what I have and why:

Optics are everything out west. They will save you miles per day. I wear Swarovski 8x32 EL's around my neck for quick checks as I'm walking as well as on the stalk. I have a pair of Swarovski 15x56 SLC HD's that I mount on a Slik 624c Carbon tripod with a tall Outdoorsman adaptor.

Boots, I wanted a great pair of boots for here as well. I went with Meindl's. They are very stiff soles, but have some flex in the toe and don't take 50 miles to break in like Kennetrek's do. Danners, in my opinion are not great boots.

You'll need a good pack. I went with the Mystery Ranch Pintler. It is large enough for all my gear, cinches down nice for day hunts and is very comfortable to haul large loads a long way too.

Clothing is very important as well. I'm a layering guy. I prefer Sitka clothes and have as many as 4 layers on top and bottom. This allows you to layer in different ways depending on weather. Wool base layers to wind breaking outer layers.

Hunting out west is very different from hunting whitetails in Wisconsin. If you have any questions please feel free to message me!

Good luck, you'll be hooked after the first trip!

Steve

I'm from wi and have everything for whitetail hunting here, wondering what I should prioritize for gear to get into western hunting? <SNIPPED STUFF> I have: 10x Binos, 6.5 prc rifle w/3-15 Leupold w/CDS; shooting sticks. <SNIPPED STUFF>
This is actually PERFECT right here, assuming the 10X Binos are high quality glass (very clear, optically speaking.)
People have hammered home the 'good boot' theme, so let me push the "good socks" theme. Cotton is wrong. You need some 'sport socks' that wick moisture. Blisters will happen no matter how great your boots are if your socks are wrong inside them.

LAYERS of clothing! Not big, bulky items. It will be freezing cold at night and in the AM, then get warmer (usually) during the day. Layers allow you to adjust throughout the day to stay comfortable.

A back-pack is needed and folks have already given you some good suggestions.

If you hunt in the mountains, you will need SUNGLASSES. You will need sunscreen. Above 5,000 feet, you sunburn quickly. And you will need aspirin/tylenol/excedrin for the headaches (due to altitude changes and dehydration.) Speaking of hydration, you will need a lot of water. It is very dry in the mountains and you will sweat a lot, but won't think you did because it will evaporate off you so quickly.

A tripod and spotting scope are great...until you have to pack them in and out along with everything else. You can live without these things. Weight is a problem when you are at altitude, going up and down mountains. You will be out of breath and tired and will regret bringing anything you didn't absolutely need.

I'm excited for you. Hunting the West is a great adventure. On the one hand, it is just like hunting back in WI. On the other hand, the mountains and altitude can make it seem like a whole 'nother type of hunt altogether. You are getting great advice so far and I'm sure there is more to come. Search this site because there was a long thread recently about prepping for a Rocky Mountain elk hunt and all this 'territory' (what to bring and expect) was covered there.

Water is important in cold high altitude hunting. If you have never used water purification tablets, Try them at home. If you are allergic to shell fish be careful. Iodine is the base of most water purification pills. And iodine is what causes most shell fish allergies.
There is many clear streams in the west, but many have Giardia. Giardia is a time bomb if you ingest it, Unbearable stomach problem. Need Medical attention to get rid of it.

I like to have an single bit axe in camp. Great to have if you get a bow saw blade bound up in a log. Will serve as a hammer also. Check a local machine shop for a bow saw blade length 3/4 inch wide of steel cutting band saw blade , They buy in rolls. With a Dremel tool and stone grind holes to match bow saw blade holes. Makes a great meat saw blade to remove antlers and remove large bones quick. Or cut frozen meat. Make a cover of wood or plastic pipe cover and tie it to the blade in your bow saw. Makes for easy transport. And always with the saw.

There is a chance of hunting in deep snow in the high country. Water proof Gators are a must. I like felt lined boots, with 2 sets of liners to hunt deep snow. One set of liners in your boot, One set hanging in the camp drying. Pull liners out in evening, Put dry set in in morning. Be sure to take waterproofing if using leather felt line boot.

Make sure you have a good pad for your sleeping bag, If you are sleeping on the ground or camp cot. Your weight will flatten the insulation in sleeping bag and the cold will come up from the ground, Or through the cloth of a camp cot. The human body can take a lot for 16 hours. but must have a warm, dry, comfortable place to mend and recover. 2 nights without good sleep and your hunt will be in trouble.

If you must wear glasses to function. Carry an extra set in a hard case in a pocket or pack. You may need your glasses to find the set of glasses a limb jerked off your face. And snap on sun glasses to fit them.
You want a wide brimmed hat to protect my glasses from snow and rain, also to protect your ears and nose if you get caught in one of those cutting ice storms.

If you choose a drop camp. Take some sharp paring and cooking knives with you. Or you may end up using your hunting knives to peel potatoes. If above 9000 feet take a pressure cooker with you. Makes cooking a lot faster.

If you hunt the SW, pick lightweight layers. A good lightweight rainsuit in a size large enough to fit over your layers. I wear a coolmax t-shirt, a long sleeve wicking shirt, an army jacket liner, a fleece jacket with hood, and a rain jacket. And good longjohns for the mornings. A pound on your feet is equal to 5 lbs. on your back, so get the lightest boots you can. I use Merrel waterproof, with a lightweight nylon gaiter. The soft sole is quieter for hunting. I bone out my meat, so any pack will do. A frame is unnecessary. I carry the smallest channel lock plier made, and heavy duty needle and thread to repair the pack, or boots. In the morning, it can be 20 degrees, and in the afternoon, 60 degrees. So you'll be carrying most of your layers by 9 am. I carry a Burris 20 power spotting scope, with the cheapest (lightest) tripod I can find. Tripod and scope weigh 2 lbs. It really helps to tell if a herd has a buck in it. The best way I've found for a flatlander to get in shape for the mountains is to walk 3 miles with a 40 lb. pack. Do it several times a week for several months before the hunt. Buy some Endurox R4. It helps with endurance and muscle recovery. Magic. Buy a 70 oz. Platypus canteen with hose. Drinking lots of water helps with high altitude sickness. Come and hang out for a day or two before the hunt to acclimate to the altitude. Don't drink too much alcohol or coffee. Pick a unit with elk. Once you see one, you'll want to come back and hunt elk. If I hunt CO, I take snowshoes as well. I use a wall tent with a wood stove, so my camp is always warm. The cheaper method is a Springbar or Kodiak canvas tent with a Mr. Heater. Those two tents are the best tents made, in my opinion. They set up quickly, don't flap in the wind, and hold the heat. Absolutely waterproof. Our deer hunts in NM are in early Nov. , and the weather is usually pretty nice in the southern part of the state. You don't need wool clothes here. Good luck.

If you have never used water purification tablets, Try them at home. If you are allergic to shell fish be careful. Iodine is the base of most water purification pills. And iodine is what causes most shell fish allergies.

Just for clarity (and please excuse my contrariness), this is an incredibly commonly-held misconception.

Were you allergic to iodine, life would be hard, and you'd suffer a reaction whenever you ate most table salt, since almost all table salt is iodinated.

The reagent in most shellfish allergies is "tropomyosin", the molecule that holds the iodine. Hence the misconception.

I've done enough allergy provocation tests on patients and reviewed enough literature to give certainty to this.

The best quality optics you can afford. My Swarovski spotting scope is the best money I ever spent on hunting gear. My Vortex 15x Kiabab binos are the second best money I've spent. They're heavy by most standards but I carry them every time I'm outside. That said if your 10x binos are good quality I recommend you focus on a quality spotting scope. That combo should do you well to get started.

Don't debate between buying high end optics vs a new rifle. Buy the optics and use your 6.5 PRC or even the old 30-06 rifle all of us have in the gun safe. You can always stalk closer if needed but only if you can glass up the animal you want.

Now for the hard part. Work of getting in shape. The altitude can really hurt and it takes time for your body to adjust. Also, you'll hike a lot more, like miles and miles more. Try to find the time to do some longish hikes back home. Carry your pack with your hunting gear. Even carry a rifle if you can. That sort of training will help you get in shape and let you become very familiar with all your gear.

You're getting great advice from lots of folks. I'm sure you'll have a great hunt an see some incredible critters.

I was in your shoes over 10 years ago when I relocated to CO from MI. I had thick, heavy clothing for stand hunting. You need a great pair of boots, like others have stated. Second, spend the money and get some high quality hunting clothing. I bought a bunch of Sitka gear and it became worth every penny when I had to hike up and out of a deep canyon in the Vail area (we looked down upon the ski resort) when I was elk hunting. Not only was the clothing non restrictive, it wicked away all the sweat and kept me very warm. I was soaked by the time I made it back to camp. I stripped all the clothes off and hung it up inside our outfitter tent and fired up the tent stove. Within a couple of hours, everything was dry. Look at Kuiu clothing, too. I have a bunch of it, and it's fantastic . It's cheaper than Sitka and, in my opinion, a little better. Kuiu didn't exist when I bought all my Sitka, otherwise I would have purchased everything from them. My boots and Camo clothing are honestly the most important hunting items I own.
Get some good 10x binos, too. You'll use them a lot.

I am not a master hunter but have learned a few things that have been helpful.

1. Good boots. I have Crispi Nevadas as of last season and they are great. Get good socks too. Merino wool is what I am switching to.

2. Glass. Good optics help alot, as does a tripod.

3. Learn to shot. 200 yards needs to be a chip shot.

4. Layer, and get good base layers. Nothing sucks more then being on a late elk hunt in the cold and working to hard and sweating in your base layer. If your base layer is cotton you will regret it. If it is merino or a good poly it will suck, but dry much faster. I have made the cotton mistake and fixed it last year. Cotton SUCKS as a base layer.

5. Slow down. Think about what is around you and control your nerves practice patience. If you spot something, make a plan, dont just chase it. If you have something in your sights breath and keep calm. After the animal is down do the same things. Breath, take your time, make a plan. The last thing I am still working on.

You definitely need a good pair of hunting boots. You could try what I use. I have men's 9-inch waterproof leather insulated boots. It costs quite a bit but it is well and truly worth it.

A wicking fabric against your body is a must in cold weather. Polypropylene or other wicking fabric Long John Top and Bottom and liner socks are a must for comfort. I have polypropylene shorts I wear when hunting in the field and in camp too. Cotton BVD's will freeze a person.
Before I put on weight, I had a set of shirt and pants from Cabela's made of a fabric called Worstolon that were great. Last time I checked they had Worstolon II shirts but no pants available. I went to wool for outer layer.

This isn't gear per say but a good, realistic honest assessment of your own physical capabilities. All the gear in the world don't mean anything if you ain't in shape to use it, the guys have pretty covered the rest. Figure how much you can pack for how long, and times that by your days to hunt, good luck lotta fun ahead of you if your in shape to enjoy it

Good boots and good pack are a necessity. Any fitness you can add to keep you going for multiple long days on your feet.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts