Garmin in reach mini

FlGunner

I'm looking into getting a communication device to carry into the back country with me on my hunts and for occasional off shore fishing trips. What's everyone's experience with the Garmin In reach and mini's? I already have a good stand alone gps made by Garmin. Just looking for something to send a text occasionally.

I have in in reach explorer plus. Worked ok in Colorado last year. Texting is sloooow... I beieve you can link it to your phone via bluetooth to text quicker. My phone wasn't that great so I never ended up doing that.

I have been considering selling mine, however. I want one that takes a micro SD card so that I can integrate On-X into my GPS, and still have satellite communication.

I have used the Garmin InReach Mini for a couple years and I have been pleased with it. If I were starting over, I would look closely at both the Mini and the Zoleo. They're very similar. There is a thread here on the Zoleo.

whichever you choose, being able to get a text out (and in) when you're off grid is really helpful.

I have an In-Reach and downloaded the app to my phone. I have found in Colorado that I have to go into the app and hit "search for new Messages" most of the time for it to receive the messages. Other than that it has worked perfect for me.

I recently bought a Garmin Inreach Mini and used it backpacking in Southern Utah on an Andrew Skurka Adventures guided trip. Several other of the group members had Inreach devices; both guides used the Mini. Guide Alan Dixon advised those that didn't have one to purchase one. He has good reviews of the Mini and other options on his Adventure Alan site. The Mini combined with a smart phone is a powerful and ultralight system. I recommend trying it out at home before going into the wilderness, so that you and your message recipients learn how everything works.

Just ran my 66I inReach for 10 days in the backcountry. The weather was spotty and the inReach weather reports proved critical to our daily activities regarding when to hike/hunt and gave peace of mind to those in my party because we headed out with some family members having recently experienced significant medical issues.

I'd recommend using the App on a smartphone for the texting features. The 66I Communicates just fine in the overhead storage inside my tent as well! Overall a very important part of my kit moving forward. Looking back I would probably grab the mini instead but the 66I has additional features the mini does not. Time will tell if I need those additional features or not but overall VERY happy with my purchase and Garmin service.

I recently bough a Garmen watch and I love it my son works for Garmen
and he is still showing me new thing I can do with it.

So here's an update. I bought a Garmin inreach explorer plus. I used it in Colorado on last years elk hunt. It was flawless. I had instant weather that kept me updated and was able to communicate 24/7. I've also used it here back home in Florida while offshore fishing. Never had a problem to text or navigate from 13,0000' in the wilderness out all the way out 60-70 miles offshore in the gulf. Best piece of equipment I own.

So here's an update. I bought a Garmin inreach explorer plus. I used it in Colorado on last years elk hunt. It was flawless. I had instant weather that kept me updated and was able to communicate 24/7. I've also used it here back home in Florida while offshore fishing. Never had a problem to text or navigate from 13,0000' in the wilderness out all the way out 60-70 miles offshore in the gulf. Best piece of equipment I own.
I hear you, with the correct maps loaded you can navigate anywhere in the world and communicate anywhere in the world. My Inreach works just as well in Italy for navigating as it did in Idaho. The COMMS work everywhere and I like the ability to turn the texting service on/off when needed thanks to the Freedom plan. And yes, weather on demand is a game changer! No more guessing. There are some nice blue tooth add ons like the temperature sensor that will give you real time temps but I haven't tried that yet. I figure between GoPros, Garmin, cell phone, kestrel, LRF, Binocs, and sometimes my Sony 4k video camera I feel I am starting to carry too much tech into the field.

I hear you, with the correct maps loaded you can navigate anywhere in the world and communicate anywhere in the world. My Inreach works just as well in Italy for navigating as it did in Idaho. The COMMS work everywhere and I like the ability to turn the texting service on/off when needed thanks to the Freedom plan. And yes, weather on demand is a game changer! No more guessing. There are some nice blue tooth add ons like the temperature sensor that will give you real time temps but I haven't tried that yet. I figure between GoPros, Garmin, cell phone, kestrel, LRF, Binocs, and sometimes my Sony 4k video camera I feel I am starting to carry too much tech into the field.

24D28F84-9237-4FE4-8578-029E8F64D0C3.jpeg

I ran an inReach Mini last fall and found the weather reports to be a huge plus. It did take awhile to link to access the weather a couple times though. I also had poorer battery life than I expected, but I believe it was more to do with how I was using it and my settings, so do your homework on setup.