Game changing rules for Wyoming

All I can say is that on my hunting trips to Wyoming I spent a bucket-load of money. I was happy to support the hotels, restaurants, shops, taxidermist, etc. I also paid handsomely to the outfitters and guides. Significantly reducing the number of hunters flying in and spending their time and money in Wyoming will have an impact on the people and businesses that relied on that portion of their income.

With that being said, each state can make their own rules to suit their interests. Hunters with the cash to move about the country will simply find more attractive alternatives. I don't take a position on the issue but would be interested in knowing the impact of these changes.

Last edited:
I don't take a position on the issue but would be interested in knowing the impact of these changes.

Fiscal impact was part of the Bill documentation; bottom line, residents get more licenses. Most likely they'll got to a random bonus point process for these 5 species so points will still matter.
As far as the article itself, the comment that area 2 will take 53 points is laughable, as is the ramblings of suing the Game dept. If he had the slightest clue, he'd know the Game and Fish doesn't create legislation, in this case HB0043, and as such, you'd be suing the state of Wyoming, not the Game dept.

I think there is a large movement to push non resident hunting to outfitters, I think the outfitter associations carry enough dollars to buy into the political process for one and it also accomplishes the goal of many residents everywhere to conserve what is left for those who are residents. There are serious solutions that need to be made in many states because of the over population of wolves and out of state hunters.
MT has taken a different tact, we'll give outfitters and certain land owners a pile of tags to sell AND they are basically swinging the doors wide open. So they cash in on the rampant slaughter of game left on public lands while making sure the outfitters and land owners can cash in on the game when everything is pushed onto private land. The resident and the DIY non resident is SOL and hunt quality is at a low point!! At this point in SW MT quality mule deer hunting would take 10-15 years to come back if all of area would go to a draw only but they keep it open for either sex on a general deer tag, in a unit that 10 years ago you could take kids into and kill 3 point bucks with relative ease and if you put some effort in a 180 class buck was doable last year we scoured the area and found 2 forked horn bucks and about 20 does. I watched a group of out of state hunters wipe out an entire herd of mule deer, they didn't know or care the reason every local drive past them was that was all that was left in that drainage. I don't know if WY plan will work but be glad it's not the MT plan!!

I would personally rather see an increase in tag price than see 50% of the NR tags given to outfitters. Even doubling the cost of the tags would be significantly cheaper than paying an outfitter.

I used up my elk points in 2020 and was going to start buying my preference points again this year. I would hate to be into it for a few years and then they decide to add elk or deer. Is buying elk or deer points as big a gamble as I'm thinking?

I used up my elk points in 2020 and was going to start buying my preference points again this year. I would hate to be into it for a few years and then they decide to add elk or deer. Is buying elk or deer points as big a gamble as I'm thinking?
I hope not, because I'll be borderline on points for a pretty solid elk unit in 2023. Who knows what will happen if I have to push it back another year.

Last edited:
Colorado is headed the same direction. They're using data from 2007-09 to allocate non-resident tags. Note the comment for each option stating the reduction in revenue by reducing the number of non-resident tags in this document. I imagine Wyoming will see the same hit to income.