Game Bags….and their use

nksmfamjp

This is probably something pretty simple once I get them in my hands….

i'm trying to pick up some "just in case" game bags. If I have to pack out my deer because that is a better choice than dragging it from where I'm at, I'm trying to do some basic prep work.

Typically, I plan to drag or cart my deer out where I'm hunting, but I've avoided some corners of this place due to a lack of a good meat hauler and game bags. I have a solid day pack/meat hauler. So…..bags??

I'm pretty set on these:
Amazon product ASIN B07NTS81N8

but, I also think these are probably better….

Allen makes a set that kind of splits the middle.

Anyways, I only have about a 20% chance of putting these to use!

Thought on what is a good set of occasional use mule deer game bags?

Also, temps will be high of 50's, low of 20's. Would you hang these in shade like a deer or do I need a cooler too?

Any thoughts about the Koola bags? I think their better ones are not the cheesecloth, right?

Black Ovis makes a great ultralight game bag. They don't weigh anything, they'll allow meat to cook while it's bagged, but they're tough as hell. I do like the zippered bags listed above though, as getting a quarter in a bag solo is a pain in the rear

i bought the allen lightweight ones to use. they should be reusable, they do not really stretch like the cheesecloth ones and the holes seem small enough that there shouldn't be any bugs that can get through. my only hesitance would be durability but i won't know until i use them. i have always grown up gutting and dragging so using bags in the field will be a new thing for me.

This is probably something pretty simple once I get them in my hands….

i'm trying to pick up some "just in case" game bags. If I have to pack out my deer because that is a better choice than dragging it from where I'm at, I'm trying to do some basic prep work.

Typically, I plan to drag or cart my deer out where I'm hunting, but I've avoided some corners of this place due to a lack of a good meat hauler and game bags. I have a solid day pack/meat hauler. So…..bags??

I'm pretty set on these:
Amazon product ASIN B07NTS81N8

but, I also think these are probably better….

Allen makes a set that kind of splits the middle.

Anyways, I only have about a 20% chance of putting these to use!

Thought on what is a good set of occasional use mule deer game bags?

Also, temps will be high of 50's, low of 20's. Would you hang these in shade like a deer or do I need a cooler too?

Being properly prepared…..is a "sure fire" way to guarantee a "no-kill" hunt! 😉 memtb

With the Temps you listed I would think that hanging bagged animals in the shade would be acceptable.
Get to cheap of a bags and they tear or get runs in them and flies and etc get in. Not sure how much you intend to use the bags. How often or far you intend to pack them. My bags go in my pack and stay there until hopefully I need them. So I want tough, light, reusable bags that don't take up much room in my pack. Never seen the ones mentioned above with the zipper but they do look like really good bags, especially if you are alone. Not really much of an answer but hopefully gives you some questions to ask your self to help make your decision. And like membt said, being to prepared is a sure fired way to guarantee you won't need them. Lol

i bought the allen lightweight ones to use. they should be reusable, they do not really stretch like the cheesecloth ones and the holes seem small enough that there shouldn't be any bugs that can get through. my only hesitance would be durability but i won't know until i use them. i have always grown up gutting and dragging so using bags in the field will be a new thing for me.
I have Allen reusable bags. Been through three animals and other than a little staining, have held up fine.

I second the Caribou game bags. They have multiple sizes and they are reusable and lightweight. I have had mine for years and packed dozens of elk and deer with them. I am not fortunate enough to get elk or deer in a place that I can drive to (I actually consider that fortunate 🤔). Hang them up on a tree branch to air out and the bugs stay out. They work great if you need to throw boned out meat in a cooler with ice too.