Freebore and overpressure

hemiford

Say you have a chamber with a lot of freebore, something like a Weatherby. Your chambered cartridges are "well short" of touching the lands.
Also let's say you properly trimmed your brass length, and have good neck clearance and known non-excessive neck tension, perhaps no neck crimp either.

What would be possible causes of overpressure / pressure spike at that point ?

A tight bore ?
Wrong (too fast) powder ?
Too little powder fill, or too highly compressed ?
Unclean, oily chamber ?
Cold temp load workup then shot on a hot day ?

What else ?

I'm trying to get a handle on what could cause an accidental and catastrophic pressure spike.

Only cause I know of directly is an overload with a temp sensitive powder.
My 375 Weatherby, using the correct powder, will not allow enough powder to detonate, but it will go high enough to crater primers and have sticky bolt lift. It has .500” of freebore and will digest 3 more grains than a standard 375 Weatherby throat chamber does.
Excessive pressure is a rare thing if the correct burn rate powder is used with the correct volume.
Compressed charges do not increase max pressure or make a load dangerous, doesn’t happen unless the compression is forcing the bullet out of the neck…

Cheers.

There are a few posts of 257 Weatherby magnum having problems.
Link

Takes slow powder, standard primer, light for caliber bullets, little to no neck tension. Long free bores.

The bullet moves out of the case to soon. Acts like a pluged barrel. 2nd pressure spike, high pressure.

Slow Double based powders, with nitroglycerin, may detonate under certain conditions.

Most rifle actions will contain 100,000 + PSI. Catastrophic? I think no. The wrong powder, yes, maybe?

full.jpg

Last edited:
There are a few posts of 257 Weatherby magnum having problems.
Link

Takes slow powder, standard primer, light for caliber bullets, little to no neck tension. Long free bores.

The bullet moves out of the case to soon. Acts like a pluged barrel. 2nd pressure spike, high pressure.

Slow Double based powders, with nitroglycerin, may detonate under certain conditions.

Most rifle actions will contain 100,000 + PSI. Catastrophic? I think no. The wrong powder, yes, maybe?

View attachment 576708
This is under ignition, not excessive pressure. Powder has failed to ignite correctly, case hasn’t sealed the chamber and the escaping gas has dented the case. I had this happen with both 25-300WSM & 6.5-300WSM using H4831, IMR4831 and the worst was IMR7828.
Pressure trace showed very low pressure around 28,000psi.

Cheers.