Fouling Shots with BH209?

The Badger

After shooting my 50 cal TC Omega at the range this weekend, I noticed that my groups tightened up considerably after 5 or 6 shots. Was using 100 gr by volume of BH209 with Fury 285 .50 Universal Fit and later 265 .453 in Harvester crush rib sabots. With CCI 209 magnum shotgun primers. Started with a clean barrel and fired one primer through the breach. Groups improved from 1.5" to 1.0" or better after about half dozen shots without cleaning. I've been cleaning after every session in the past and always starting with a fresh bore next session or hunt.

After reading that many smokeless powder shooters leave their barrels fouled through a season, does anybody do this with Black Horn? I know its much less corrosive than black powder or many other substitutes, but does anybody go with a fouled barrel any length of time? Thanks

Likely ignition and/or operator. The reason I say this is because when we shoot at Camp Atterbury and at 1,000yds, our first rounds are just as good as our 10th rounds. This is shooting either 120grs VOLUME or 84grs by weight of BH209. Also, we're shooting from bone dry, 100% clean to the steel barrels bullet to bore using module ignition. We .. ALL .. swab between rounds. Sabots are a different story.

Moisture is your enemy, even with BH209, and it certainly can be corrosive, although not as corrosive as other substitutes. I load on a spotless, lubricant free barrel. Before I load I'll fire two primers only. If it doesn't rain like heck on me or I don't fall in creek, it'll remain loaded 2 weeks. If I feel there may be an issue, I'll fire the round and just reload. Never had an issue with any of my rifles using BH209. Don't take a cold rifle in and out of the house or camp. Store it cold. Like anything else, error on the side of caution.

Likely ignition and/or operator. The reason I say this is because when we shoot at Camp Atterbury and at 1,000yds, our first rounds are just as good as our 10th rounds. This is shooting either 120grs VOLUME or 84grs by weight of BH209. Also, we're shooting from bone dry, 100% clean to the steel barrels bullet to bore using module ignition. We .. ALL .. swab between rounds. Sabots are a different story.

Moisture is your enemy, even with BH209, and it certainly can be corrosive, although not as corrosive as other substitutes. I load on a spotless, lubricant free barrel. Before I load I'll fire two primers only. If it doesn't rain like heck on me or I don't fall in creek, it'll remain loaded 2 weeks. If I feel there may be an issue, I'll fire the round and just reload. Never had an issue with any of my rifles using BH209. Don't take a cold rifle in and out of the house or camp. Store it cold. Like anything else, error on the side of caution.
Thanks. That makes sense, I hadn't swabbed between shots. That would lean towards more consistency with the initial clean dry barrel shot and following rounds.

Have always used a similar load procedure when hunting. Season is pretty short and early for them in GA where I hunt and never have left one loaded for more than a few days or uncleaned for that matter. Or dealt with any real cold. Have considered the module system as it seems more moisture resistant and have plenty of rifle primers.

I clean and oil mine after every season. When it's time to get it out again I'll run 1-2 wet patches let it sit for a few minutes another 1-2 wet patches then dry patches until I don't set anything on them. I'll fire 3 primers then load like normal. I'll shoot three shots to make sure I'm still sighted in 1,2,300. If still good I'll load for hunting. I'll leave it loaded until I go hunt or season is over. I've shot 5 shots over a season at the most and accuracy didn't change. I'll clean it and put it up after next weekend and do the same next year. It's worked for 4 years so far. In Oklahoma MZ season is just a week.

Just at what distance do you guys shoot to have to run through that kind of exercise to get your guns to stay on target?
I've never shot a primer much less 3 through a clean barrel to "foul" my muzzleloaders and can hit a 10" steel gong at 300 yds shot after shot starting with a clean barrel.
That's crazy.