For ALL the bad juju going on around us today ...

That is awful.

We need to isolate the vulnerable but let the rest of us live.

If we were thinking about how to deal with this, you could have been with your mother and then isolated yourself for 3-4 weeks. That would be the compassionate thing to do but people either aren't thinking that way or didn't understand that it could be done with little risk.

That is awful.

We need to isolate the vulnerable but let the rest of us live.

If we were thinking about how to deal with this, you could have been with your mother and then isolated yourself for 3-4 weeks. That would be the compassionate thing to do but people either aren't thinking that way or didn't understand that it could be done with little risk.
Never was an option. No compromise when they are in retirement or nursing homes. They locked them up and followed the Governor's orders. That was the first mistake. Our state is still pretty much locked down in bigger cities.

There was looting about 2 blocks from where I live. On one night when it was going off, I locked my screen door so I would hear anyone messing with it and then I sat by it armed.

Luckily our looters haven't turned in to home invasion robbers yet.

They were interested in stickin' it to the man by looting a smoke shop and a sneaker store...
I stay locked n loaded & keep an open hole just for *** like that. But I know first hand that there are times & situations where even that is not enough. I'm a - on my feet, 2 hands fighting kinda guy, not a - on my knees, 2 hands clasped begging groveling & pleading kinda guy. ! of those I respect, the other " sheep"- zero regard for.

Never was an option. No compromise when they are in retirement or nursing homes. They locked them up and followed the Governor's orders. That was the first mistake. Our state is still pretty much locked down in bigger cities.
That sucks.

I'm in California and in a county that is still shut down. I have no idea when it will be allowed to open because the governor has a stupid requirement for counties to house 80 or 90% of the homeless population which they have been doing their best to grow for the last 13-14 years and some other stuff about testing and negative results.

The only thing opening up seems to be rioting...

About Lincoln as some seem to have not studied the Civil War in depth
Lincoln assumed dictatorial powers during the war. His Sec of War Stanton was Lincoln's Barr.
Habeas corpus was suspended, meaning the government could lock up anyone for as long as they wanted.
With the Army, Stanton and the Union congress, Lincoln could have kept those powers as long as he wished.

Fast forward to 1917. Wison essentially did the same. Locking up and deporting 1000s who disagreed with his policies.

FF to 1941, FDR also had huge power to arrest and lock up anyone who crossed his regime. The camps are still there out West.

Hit the button again to 2020. Trump declares the ANTIA and their left wing backers a national security threat. He suspends Habeas corpus and starts locking them up. He would have the military, police and at least 100,000,000 armed Americans in his corner. Nobody could stop him.

Oh yeah "the courts will." You know who Thrump's favorite President is ? Know what he told SCOTUS told him he could not deport the indians to OK ?

I'm so old that when I went to school, history was actually taught.

That sucks.

I'm in California and in a county that is still shut down. I have no idea when it will be allowed to open because the governor has a stupid requirement for counties to house 80 or 90% of the homeless population which they have been doing their best to grow for the last 13-14 years and some other stuff about testing and negative results.

The only thing opening up seems to be rioting...
Yep unpeaceful, non- social distancing protests and looting is all that's allowed. If people were allowed to open there businesses, they could defend their business and property. Right now it's a free for all. It's only June. What's next ?

Yep unpeaceful, non- social distancing protests and looting is all that's allowed. If people were allowed to open there businesses, they could defend their business and property. Right now it's a free for all. It's only June. What's next ?

See my post on Lincoln to see what's next if this continues.

Amen. I was a latchkey kid and grew up in the 70's-80's in the Wash DC burbs of Maryland. Our high school was one of the first to experience forced busing. It was, for all intent and purposes- a total failure. Kids had to leave their neighborhoods to be bused to a school far away and away from their friends and it created a racial tension that literally went ignored. It was never addressed or talked about.

It was NOT pleasant to be a part of social experiment- especially with everyone in their raging teen years. It wasn't good for anyone.

In the 90's, especially late 90's and into the new millennium, things actually felt like things were getting better. At least I felt that way. Sometimes I don't know how to feel. I did get a call over the weekend from my buddy back in WV. He actually called to thank me for being the one banker that would listen to his business plan and fund him. He know owns one of the busiest body shops in Eastern WV and employs 13. He just wanted to call and chat- with all the crazy crap going on. It was a bright spot to my weekend.

While I would prefer American citizens and residents to peacefully engage in political discourse, antifa is engaging in terrorism so I'm not upset by that label and if they keep engaging in terrorism, the political ramifications are their fault.

They have been terrorists since they began starting violent riots at conservative political events. I think they are lucky they didn't get the label then.

As much as I see where you are going and I don't like unchecked government power, I'm not fond of allowing domestic terrorists to operate freely.

I say restart the internment camps and fill them with antifa.

Since they like communism so much, how about some Chinese style reeducation?

Whatever happens is their fault.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to see reforms. Oscar Grant and Zaim Bojcic were two murders that should have never happened. Zaim Bojcic was shot for smoking about a mile from where I lived back then but almost no one knows because he was white. The police officer who shot him is still on the force and has been involved in at least one more police shooting since then.

If we actually had justice in cases like Oscar Grant and Zaim Bojcic, BLM probably wouldn't exist and instead of riots we would have people waiting for the justice system to work.

What we have now is a government created powder keg from the lockdown, people upset by the incident in Georgia and George Floyd's murder set it off.

To Trump's credit, he wanted to reopen the US before George Floyd. If the Democrats in all the places hit by rioting had reopened, we would probably have had no rioting outside of Minnesota and maybe Atlanta.

#1, its China's fault for the virus.

#2, its Democrats in Minnesota that let Minneapolis get so bad.

#3, its antifa turning things violent.

The only thing outside of our control is China.

As much as I am opposed to unchecked government power, I'm more opposed to terrorism so when they start rounding up antifa I'm going to be calling the tip lines with every person I suspect.

We lost my wife's mother and brother during this Covid BS. We couldn't visit or see either one during their sickness so they died alone. This is the worse part of the covid lockdown. A mother spends her life caring for her children and they cannot be at her side at on her last days. She looked at us thru a window outside and having a bit of dimentia, she probably couldn't figure out why we wouldn't or couldn't be with her or hug her. Now with this rioting and craziness going on, we're headed into a new chapter of ugly. I'd say we need some relief, good news, opportunity and healing. Problem is, I cannot see light at the end of the tunnel. I threw away all the 2020 calenders in our house. I told the wife let's focus on 2021 and bury this year. Stay focused on the future not the past.
I'm sorry your family went thru this. I cannot fathom the pain.

Me, I pray for better clarity, that I be a better husband and father, and that God's will be done.
Then I prepare for the worst. Wife and I think it will get worse. Not necessarily via rioting.
These are kids, albeit useful idiots, throwing tantrums. I think the bigger problem is, what has become of our government and leaders?
I was born to older parents. When LA Riots were happening, I asked my mom how she approached the riots in the 60's and all the wackiness of society. Her reply was pretty dry, "although they were only a mile from our house, this wasn't much in the bigger picture. In the forties, boys I went to high school with and all the towns around us were coming home in boxes by the hundreds."
Sadly, America has become a place that I don't recognize when compared to the values taught to me by my parents. We need to take it back, but I believe the pendulum will swing a fair bit more left before we see it coming back.
The left is waking up a sleeping giant I believe they will find that out soon!

Sorry for your loss . It's been my experience people that focus on the past do very little today . I think we all want fairness and equality for everyone but that's different from give me cause I want it

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.