Food outside freeze dried junk

LocalJW

I've got a 7 days Llama pack in trip in Idaho coming up. I've done tons of Mtn ops and similar style of freeze dried meals in the past. Does anyone have advice on how to get cleaner/healthier meals out there that will
Last? Examples would be appreciated

I've got a 7 days Llama pack in trip in Idaho coming up. I've done tons of Mtn ops and similar style of freeze dried meals in the past. Does anyone have advice on how to get cleaner/healthier meals out there that will
You can always make your own freeze dried food. Tractor supply around me sells Harvest right freeze dryers. They work great.

3 packs of Wasa Multigrain Crispbread crackers 700cal = 2,100cal
2 pounds Super Crunchy peanut butter=2,800cal
3 pounds Cosmic Crisp apples=1,000cal
1 pound Pecan Halves=3,040cal
10 cans of StarKist Tuna Selects EVOO 230cal=2,300cal
2 pounds of Almonds=5,200cal
1 pound Steel Cut Oats 3minute=2,900cal
2 pounds Chia Seeds=4,400cal
10 cans Bumble Bee Smoke Flavored Coho Salmon 150cal X !0=1,500cal
3 cases of 24 Bottles Spring Water 500ML each=Zero cal
That'll give ya bout 25,000 calories @ 3,500 calories day, probably survive. Put the chia seeds in the oatmeal before heating. Chia seeds on the peanut butter on the crackers, Good luck on ur hunt!

Last edited:
Outdoor Herbivore, Pack-it Gourmet, Good to Go, & Next Mile; with a few Mountain House mixed in. Also, buy some premium Granola and if you want milk, use Nido milk powder, then you just add water on the trail. Also, the emergency ration food bars taste decent, don't take a lot of space, and pack 2400 calories a bar.
Whatever you do, DON'T do ramen !!!
or, use the 7 day trip as a way to drop a few pounds :>)

What are your issues with current offerings? These are subsistence meals, created to be light and nutritious enough to survive on. You could just take rice, jerky, and some dried fruit in enough quantity to last.