First Elk of the Season Hammered

Found out yesterday that I was drawn for an elk deprivation hunt in SW Montana for next Thursday Aug 15th. Planning to get down there Wed evening and go over things with the land owner and hopefully have a cow elk Hammered the next morning. I'm thinking I should have the first elk of the 2024 season Hammered!

Now I have to decide on what rifle bullet combo to use. The easy button is my 25-284 running the 89gr HHT prototype that I used for the milk jug shoot. I have 20 rounds left and the rifle is all tuned and ready. But then I had said that I would use the 6.5 mm 118gr HHT on the shoulder of an elk. That just means that I have to get it load developed and ready in the next couple of days. I have a BeanMore and a 6.5 saum that would work. We will see if I can get one of them loaded up and drop verified at distance.
Best of luck

Thursday morning if I had been driving with my gun in my lap I could have jumped out and shot one. Not my style. Elk just happened to be right at the spot we planned to park and walk in. Elk moved off and we worked our way into them through the cover of the willows. As we were nearly close enough to start considering a shot, another hunter took a shot behind us. Not at the group we were on but it put them on alert and they started moving with purpose and there was no catching up. Went back after them that evening and heavy thunderstorms moved in and didn't stop. Tried again the next morning and the moisture from the storms with the nearly freezing temp created fog so thick that visibility was under 100y until about 10:30 am. I then decided that I did not want to deal with the large number of hunters that were stuffed into a small area over the weekend. I may our may not try again this week.

It is official. I jinxed this hunt by posting ahead of time!