First Elk of the Season Hammered

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
Found out yesterday that I was drawn for an elk deprivation hunt in SW Montana for next Thursday Aug 15th. Planning to get down there Wed evening and go over things with the land owner and hopefully have a cow elk Hammered the next morning. I'm thinking I should have the first elk of the 2024 season Hammered!

Now I have to decide on what rifle bullet combo to use. The easy button is my 25-284 running the 89gr HHT prototype that I used for the milk jug shoot. I have 20 rounds left and the rifle is all tuned and ready. But then I had said that I would use the 6.5 mm 118gr HHT on the shoulder of an elk. That just means that I have to get it load developed and ready in the next couple of days. I have a BeanMore and a 6.5 saum that would work. We will see if I can get one of them loaded up and drop verified at distance.

So what you're saying is wish you luck as you are hoping to have the first elk of 2024 Hammered. ;)

Why the itty bitty bullets?
I've never had the privilege of hunting elk at least not yet and would like to use my 6.5 x 284 Norma, but I don't know if I would use that little bullet when I have a 338 Lapua also.

I have a 6.5/110gr going almost 3500 FPS. I was wondering how that would do.
I shortened my barrel to accommodate a suppressor I went from 26 to 22 inches to get my velocity back up to 3000 FPS I dropped from a 140 VLD to a 130 vld.
72152041905__F58F5F2C-3DC3-444C-B6A3-4A43B1E33EA6.jpeg

The little 25 would be fun, it'll punch thru the fronts just fine. If I get called for the hunt I'll take my 6.5 lb scoped and ready to rock 22/250 AI. It perks very well with 70 Hammers.

Don't shoot the lead one, look for the perfect 3 year old:)

Life is short, hunt hard