Fireforming

My AI forming loads produced from 1/2"-5/8", often smaller, especially in the 223 AI. Velocity was less while forming of course, and accuracy was better on the formed loads. Each barrel and caliber will have it's own specific traits.

The reason for using cream of wheat or better yet, coffee grounds with a shotgun powder is to decrease the barrel wear(throat). Many of these wild cats achieve their very best accuracy in the first 600 rounds and some 800 rounds, so blowing out 100 cases with full-blown powder charges and bullets does cause some throat wear.

I get 95-98% formed cases with Cream of wheat in the 280 AI, Dasher, and BRX, accuracy and speed in these cases are exceptional.

The barrel does get HOT when fire forming with bullseye and cream of wheat, I cool the barrel and push a patch down the bore. When needed, forming a false shoulder pays HUGE dividends, setting headspace tight against the shoulder in the barrel, and I re-lube my bolt lugs every barrel cooling to avoid gauled lugs.

Years ago, I had a Remington 700 in 223 with its 12 twist re-chambered to 22/250 AI for an upcoming P. dog hunt on a virgin town that was 11 miles long. I had 1000 cases loaded with bullseye and cream of wheat. I carried a 5-gallon bucket to the range and filled it full of water. I would fire form cases till the barrel was very hot, then I just dipped the barrel in the bucket of water and never ran a patch through the barrel. I got all 1000 formed in one afternoon.

When I got home, I was curious about the condition of the barrel. I brushed the barrel and bore-scoped it. I was amazed at how pristine it looked. So, what the heck, I worked up a load with the brass that I had just formed. 44.5g of Winchester 760 with a Sierra 55g BTHP shot 1/2" out of the barrel, which was plenty good enough for coyotes. I shot that barrel for about 4 years, killed a lot of coyotes in Arizona with it.

On one Beater 22/250 AI barrel(another new 223 sporter barrel re chamber), I hunted coyotes fire forming short range, 38.5g of Win 760 with a 55g Sierra of sorts or a nosler ballistic tip, vel of 3850, with 5/8" groups. As I said above, the formed load was 44.5g of Win 760 at 4050 fps, with 3/8" groups with the 55s.

Last edited:
In my 22-250 AI, a fire-forming load was very accurate. So accurate that I used it for varmint hunting and did not feel that it was giving up accuracy. Shoot a few groups and see if it gives you good accuracy for whatever you're shooting.

Last edited:
When I done my 250 AI I fire formed at the range till I saw how good the groups were.
.5 MOA but slower velocity then I wanted, the P-Dog wont know!!

I have also done as recomemded by Just Jon.

I use cast bullets to conserve on projectiles. Many "fillers" can be used. Tumbler media cerals what have you.

Has anyone tried Trail Boss in this procedure?
Yes, but there is an important reason you don't hear about that any more... Trail Boss production has been indefinitely suspended due to the loss of the single facility that made it and the replacement facility doesn't lend itself to the old Trail Boss process. It can be a long time, if ever, that we will be missing TrailBoss.

Yes, but there is an important reason you don't hear about that any more... Trail Boss production has been indefinitely suspended due to the loss of the single facility that made it and the replacement facility doesn't lend itself to the old Trail Boss process. It can be a long time, if ever, that we will be missing TrailBoss.
Glad I have an unopened can.

Recent Posts