Fired Case Issue - 460 WB

jstanfor8

Anyone ever encounter this situation with a reloaded round? This happened to two cases from a 460 WB trimmed and prepped, etc., like normal and seemed to have no defects prior to firing.

Attachments

• 460 WB.jpg
    460 WB.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 90
I assume you full length resized? Do you have a gauge to measure your case base to shoulder? I am wondering if the gun is very generously headspaced and you are seeing a massive case stretch? The WBY of course shoulders off the belt, but it blows out the case to match the chamber nonetheless when fired.

Does the thickness of the neck seem consistent or thinner in the elongated areas?
Subject to human and/or instrument error, looks like case thickness appears a little thinner at .0130 vs .0135-0.140 outside of the elongated area. Also, note from above that it's no longer perfectly round.

Attachments

• 460 WB top.jpg
    460 WB top.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 35
I assume you full length resized? Do you have a gauge to measure your case base to shoulder? I am wondering if the gun is very generously headspaced and you are seeing a massive case stretch? The WBY of course shoulders off the belt, but it blows out the case to match the chamber nonetheless when fired.
Correct full length resized, and I have an LE Wilson adjustable case gage, but I understand that the factory chamber of WBY rifles have a long freebore from .975" to .756" depending on the age of the rifle--not sure about mine, but it's a factory Mark V made in Japan.

Couple of questions:

1. Have you inspected or cleaned the rifle chamber recently? Borescope images?
2. Did you fire any rounds at the same shooting session that did not elongate the brass?

Couple of questions:

1. Have you inspected or cleaned the rifle chamber recently? Borescope images?
2. Did you fire any rounds at the same shooting session that did not elongate the brass?
Yes, perfectly cleaned rifle before this round at the range, but not borescope images. I fired a total of 27 rounds--5 with 500 grain CE Solids 2 of which resulted with this elongation and then 22 rounds thereafter with 500 grain Barnes FJM RN with no issues.