Finally punched my 2014 bear tag

Tikkamike

Well after a long bear season(s) (spring and now fall) it finally came together. I dont remember the numbers from this spring but this fall so far I have packed 2 beavers and 16 50lb bags of feed into the woods for these things. and the season is still going. I always bait until the season closes so who knows where It will end up at the end of the month.

Tuesday evening I decided to run up and watch bait. about 630 I spotted something black walking up toward the bait. so I got my phoneskope set up and on the bear. As you will notice from the first video to the last that the camera slowly creeps downward and I BARELY got the kill on film. Once I got the camera on him I got down in my shooting position and waited.. I waited 10 minutes before I had a decent shot. In the first video you can see the camera has a great shot which would have been perfect but from my angle I couldnt see him very well. but it gives you a decent perspective of what he looks like. The bear never did feed he was just hanging out and I believe making sure nobody else was feeding either. I see the bigger bears do this fairly often where they will just pass through and make sure everyone knows its his barrel.
From the moment I saw him I thought he was the big one I had been hoping for this fall because of his color and the muzzle. I found out later this was a new bear to the area. Not as big as the one I was chasing.

Finally after standing off to the left where I couldnt see him very well he walked over behind the barrel and tree where I thought he would start feeding and walk around front. but he never did he started acting like he was going to leave so I decided as soon as he came out from behind the tree I would put one (225 TTSX out of my Tikka 338 Win) through his shoulders I was hoping he would go left and give me a better shot opportunity but he went right and by the time I realized he was leaving and it was time to shoot his shoulders were about past the window so I put one through his lungs. if you watch the video you can see it knocks him down but he catches himself and takes off.

This video is slowed way down and if you look closly you can see the vapor trail and the hide ripple as the bullet impacts.

After the shot I heard him crash in the trees down below the bait so I walked back to my 4wheeler and rode around to the top and walked into the bait. I didnt find any blood but nothing new there I rarely do. as I walked down his track I heard some thrashing in the timber and it was getting dark so I decided to give him the night because fighting a wounded bear in the dark isnt on my bucket list.
My dad and I went up the next morning and he was right where I expected him to be. Piled up under a big dead tree. I was a little disappointed when I walked up on him because thats when I realized he wasnt the one I was after. But still a pretty nice bear. I took him to the G&F and checked him in then headed to the taxidermist where they skinned him real quick and squared him at 6'5" which surprised me because he seemed short in body to me. but laying flat he looked quite a bit bigger. I am doing a shoulder with front legs mount on a wall pedistal.

Here are are a couple pics

Still have a couple left to kill so hopefully we can get it done and slow down the feeding frenzy.. it gets expensive after a while.

Last edited:
Looks like he's got a decent sized head on him and gorgeous color! Congrats!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.