Finally, Finally I have it ready to shoot

The base color is the lightest color (tan), paint the entire stock that color. Then tape and paint the other two colors (one at a time)

May I ask why? I want the color present in the greatest amount to be tan? So dont I want to use it last?

Generally speaking, when painting anything, you start with the light colors and progress to the darker colors. Part of the reason being that darker colors will cover the lighter colors more easily. Also, the base color (lightest color) does not have to be the predominant color. But painting the entire stock you don't have to tape for it at all. All you have to do is tape the final two colors.

Make sense?

Generally speaking, when painting anything, you start with the light colors and progress to the darker colors. Part of the reason being that darker colors will cover the lighter colors more easily. Also, the base color (lightest color) does not have to be the predominant color. But painting the entire stock you don't have to tape for it at all. All you have to do is tape the final two colors.

Make sense?

Some what yes thanks

OK here is what I ended up with, had a few issues in my method. I tried male stencils at first but ended up with fuzzy edges. So I got out the exact o knife and some small paper plates. Cut random shapes and used the air brush to feather it all together. I think it took me about an hour, the paint is Brownells Alumihide II.
005-2_zpsb3a90ae3.jpg

006_zps1485813e.jpg

007-1_zpsd9b9a988.jpg

009-3_zpsbc86116f.jpg

010-Copy-1_zps329d2b04.jpg

011-Copy_zps1673779f.jpg

013-Copy_zps2deb3112.jpg

That a fine lookin unit, hope it works well for ya!
Not to take anything away from your effort but the night before last I handed my shooting partner a 7WSM barrel already threaded for a small shanked Savage, a long action stock, a left handed bolt with a magnum bolt head,three boxes of shells, a set of RCBS 7WSM dies and he handed me some cash:D
We had agreed to go shooting the next day and he shows up with his usual 300WSM and 7mag but instead of his Savage 25-06 he has swapped all those 7WSM parts onto that action. Heck I sold him that action a couple years ago because the base screws where not lined up right and it shoots to the left more than most scopes will allow for.
Well? Not only did the left handed bolthead fit the right handed bolt but it ejects shell better than his bone stock 300WSM:rolleyes: The only thing he didnt have worked out was the Base/scope issue with the action. He could however get a group on paper by aiming at the right side of the target @ 100 yards.
Long story short that dang parts gun put six shots into a 1/2" group @ 100 yards...As I'm writeing this he is probably pinning the base in line with the barrel so he can outshoot me again tommorow....

Good job...

I have a guy that does 3 color paint jobs at Manners stock if you need a professional. He charges 160 for 3 color.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.