Fiberglass inlet need sealing?

bomberodevil

Hi folks, I have a 1952 Remington model 721, chambered in 270 Win. It was my father’s , he had bought it when he returned from serving in the Korean War conflict. It hadn’t been shot for years, but I cleaned it and shot some rounds through it, and it was .800 moa? So I load developed some 145 ELDX with Peterson brass, and it’s around .400 moa. So it went from the safe into hunt rotation!

The grandkids will mainly use it for cull deer in Texas. I don’t want a young hunter to drop it or bang it around, possibly damaging the original wood stock. I got a fiberglass stock to put on it for hunts, and I’ll keep the wood stock in the safe. I had to sand down some of the barrel inlet of the forestock to allow for free floating, taking off a small amount of material.

My question is, for weather protection, do I need to seal the bare fiberglass where it was sanded? If so, any particular sealing product, or just a clear coat acrylic product?

Thanks much for your assistance!

Last edited:
The water absorption of even the cheapest fiberglass resin when submerged is less than single digit % per decade... if it cosmetically makes you happy go for it. But it will sadly outlast most nation states before absorbing a warpable amount of water.

The water absorption of even the cheapest fiberglass resin when submerged is less than single digit % per decade... if it cosmetically makes you happy go for it. But it will sadly outlast most nation states before absorbing a warpable amount of water.
Thanks very much for the info! I’ve already reassembled the rifle and torqued it to specs, so I may just leave it for now. If I break it down again, I’ll put some sealer on. I appreciate both your and Bret‘s responses.

Moisture wont hurt the stock, it may cause rust to the barrel, but likely only under extreme conditions if ignored, A little primer would do the trick if you have any doubts
I had all intents to keep it as a safe queen, being it was dad’s main hunting rifle. It would never be for sale. I figured I would shoot it before cleaning and storing. I bought a box of the cheapest green core-locts I could find to run through it, just to say I did my due diligence.

Being open sights, it had never had a scope on it. So I put a set of rings on it and grabbed a scope I had on another rifle to make a range trip. I had expectations of 1-1/2 to 2” groups. The dang thing shot well! So I developed a load for it and I’m having fun getting it ready for my dad’s great grandkids to harvest meat with his old 270.

I had all intents to keep it as a safe queen, being it was dad’s main hunting rifle. It would never be for sale. I figured I would shoot it before cleaning and storing. I bought a box of the cheapest green core-locts I could find to run through it, just to say I did my due diligence.

Being open sights, it had never had a scope on it. So I put a set of rings on it and grabbed a scope I had on another rifle to make a range trip. I had expectations of 1-1/2 to 2” groups. The dang thing shot well! So I developed a load for it and I’m having fun getting it ready for my dad’s great grandkids to harvest meat with his old 270.
That's the way it should be, hopefully they will create a lot memories

The rifle being as old as it is. The first thing you need to do is replace the firing pin spring. If not already done.
Shortly before dad passed he complained I had loaded some shells to hot. He "Said some smoke and gas came out of action on firing".
The rifle a Rem. 722 in 222 Remington, First 222 Rem. to come to a local gun shop in 1952.
Dad passed on to the happy hunting ground in 1994 and I inherited the rifle.
I notice 3 or 4 cases in a box of brass had round holes where the firing pin had struck the primer. He said it did not shoot as good either.

I loaded our old standard load of IMR 4198, Rem. primer, and Sierra 50 gr. bullet. Took it to the range, About the 3rd shot some gas and smoke blew out of the action, Hole in primer. I shot a 5 shot group about 2 inches.
Removed bolt and Hooked bolt on edge of the bench, Could bounce the firing pin like a po-go stick. Took the bolt to a gunsmith, He replaced the spring with a 700 short action spring. Went to the range, Shot a 1/2" group with no more smoke and gas either.

Good Luck and Be Safe.

The rifle being as old as it is. The first thing you need to do is replace the firing pin spring. If not already done.
Shortly before dad passed he complained I had loaded some shells to hot. He "Said some smoke and gas came out of action on firing".
The rifle a Rem. 722 in 222 Remington, First 222 Rem. to come to a local gun shop in 1952.
I notice 3 or 4 cases in a box of brass had round holes where the firing pin had struck the primer. He said it did not shoot as good either.

I loaded our old standard load of IMR 4198, Rem. primer, and Sierra 50 gr. bullet. Took it to the range, About the 3rd shot some gas and smoke blew out of the action, Hole in primer. I shot a 5 shot group about 2 inches.
Removed bolt and Hooked bolt on edge of the bench, Could bounce the firing pin like a po-go stick. Took the bolt to a gunsmith, He replaced the spring with a 700 short action spring. Went to the range, Shot a 1/2" group with no more smoke and gas either.

Good Luck and Be Safe.
Thanks, I did have the firing pin replaced. The funny thing is, the pin that holds the firing pin in the bolt was welded in place! That must have been from the factory as I don’t think my dad ever had it in a shop after he owned it. The GS said it was a pain to get out, but it’s good now.

Attachments

• IMG_2086.jpeg
    IMG_2086.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0033.jpeg
    IMG_0033.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 63
I seen my first 700 Rem. about 1963-64 in the Chinon, France Gun Club. Over the years of side pressure on the pin, It may have partially sheared the pin. Was what caused the removal problem. I never seen the pin welded, May have been an experimental job.

Thanks, I did have the firing pin replaced. The funny thing is, the pin that holds the firing pin in the bolt was welded in place! That must have been from the factory as I don’t think my dad ever had it in a shop after he owned it. The GS said it was a pain to get out, but it’s good now.
Is that a before or after picture? Did gunsmith use the term welded to express how difficult it was to get out maybe? Welding that pin in, which has no chance of falling out because of its position, would require a lot of finish work to get back the dimensions that it would function correctly. That oblong hole in the firing pin head may cause you some problems down the road.

Good Luck and Be Safe.
Quite a few years ago, my 722 bolt for my .222 rifle was stolen while I was traveling to a my new duty station. I contacted Remington and they fitted it with a new Model 700 bolt that works better than my old one ever did. The old one had been shot by a pro in competition back in the late '50's early '60's and he sold it when it was "worn out" (or the new 'whiz bang' caliber replaced the .222). Still shooting about ½" at 100 yds all day long!🙂