Few Ballistic Papers

THEIS

Hi,

Figured some may want a little light reading for the Holidays :)
Here are some ballistic articles that are pretty much leading and redefining certain aspects of the LR/ELR shooting disciplines.

Attachments

• Hyper-Stabilized Rifle Bullets (re-formatted).pdf
    275.9 KB · Views: 126
  • Mean Trajectory of a Rifle Bullet 06.pdf
    522 KB · Views: 221
  • Maximum Length of Spin Stabilized Projectile.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 87
  • Calculating_Yaw_of_Repose_Spin_Drift_FULL.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,035
  • Third Generation Long-Range Rifle Bullets (V 0.4).pdf
    921.5 KB · Views: 126
  • AC.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 281
The paper on hyper stabilized rifle bullets is a very interesting read. We may very well be seeing some real advances in CNC turned monolithic bullets and rifles/twist rates to fire them. This may help explain the very high bc of Warner tools flatline target bullets. Boatright is working with Warner. We may soon be seeing twist rates of 7 or even faster in the large calibers for very sleek bullets.

The growing popularity of long range target shooting and bullets for that sport will pull the hunting bullets along for the ride.

Last edited:
Hi,

We already have those 7 twist in 338s and 375s right now. All of Tubbs 338s and 375s are 7P.
Warner is currently making the projectiles of Jim's design for all the testing, not for selling or for flatline design.
I am putting a couple 7P 375s to test with revised Mach IV from Klaus' original design.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

No he is not making/selling.
He is testing Jims ULD design with/without base drilled.
Jims design is not available for purchase yet but will be real soon. More testing is desired before that point.
All of our 7Ps are Schneider.

Sincerely,
Theis

Thank you. I still don't know what a 7P is. I haven't heard that term. I do appreciate your response.

I'll look for Jim's new bullets. I love trying new bullets.

Hi,

O sorry....7P is a 7 twist Polygonal rifling profile.

See Bullet Obturation thread for more information on its' benefits for solids.

Sincerely,
Theis

That's mean, what did I do to you? This is hurting my brain...........but I can't stop reading.

Very interesting, thank you for posting the articles.

OK I thought 7 twist must be in there somewhere. While there are 7 twist 338 and 375 barrels there aren't that many bullets that really utilize all that twist to full advantage. Mostly it's very long and heavy bullets. I'd like to try very long and not so heavy bullets, ie bullets with a very long ogive to improve bc. Hold the weight down to keep velocity up.

The larger calipers are were the real changes might come. Small calipers are already maxed out at 7 twists. Maybe they can go faster with monometals. But the larger the caliper the easier it is to build a long sleek bullet with a useable twist. And if a 1.5 mm hollow point is needed for expansion it has much less effect on bc in the big calipers than the small.

I just had to replace the battery in my calipers.

While we are on caliper tropics I just realized that if we made thinner for caliper bullets we could make them longer for caliper without increasing bullet weight. I realize this is never before explored territory but might be something to look into.

Ps. don't reread this.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.