Favourite .257 wby powder?

Calvin45

Hi all, I have a new to me .257 Roy I'm itching to get loading for and I've read a ton of data on it but want first hand input from people who handload for one. What's your favourite powder and why,

Which do you find gives highest velocity (that is what I'm after, it's a weatherby and not a true long range kind of rifle, my new lightweight walking around max point blank range gun - not to say I don't care about accuracy but an honest 1 moa is just fine)

I shoot the 129 through 135 GR pills in mine and Retumbo is the secret elixir for all of them, when I shot the 100 and less Gr bullets 7828 was the elixir. You need a 7.5 or faster twist for anything over 120 Gr.

I hunt whitetails and pigs with mine it hits like a freight train and rarely do the animals take a step
Yeah I like the old belted magnums but my other two are quite heavy and long, a 300 win and .358 Norma…this new 257 is a lightweight in comparison (still a standard sporter, vanguard s2 stainless) and there's a lot to love about the cartridge. Kicks like a .270 MAYBE, by all accounts hits like a .30-06, shoots much flatter than a .243…all good things 😁

Here's a pic of the three "belted ballistic brothers" i shared on a diff thread.

Attachments

• 7751D00D-13A4-483B-B9C6-FC604FE30658.jpeg
    7751D00D-13A4-483B-B9C6-FC604FE30658.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 63
Yeah I like the old belted magnums but my other two are quite heavy and long, a 300 win and .358 Norma…this new 257 is a lightweight in comparison (still a standard sporter, vanguard s2 stainless) and there's a lot to love about the cartridge. Kicks like a .270 MAYBE, by all accounts hits like a .30-06, shoots much flatter than a .243…all good things 😁

Here's a pic of the three "belted ballistic brothers" i shared on a diff thread.
My load is 72 gr of 7828, and mine is an old Weatherby vanguard Sub-moa with 24" barrel. Mine is going to get a new barrel soon. Just have to decide which barrel to go with

My load is 72 gr of 7828, and mine is an old Weatherby vanguard Sub-moa with 24" barrel. Mine is going to get a new barrel soon. Just have to decide which barrel to go with
That 7828 is good stuff but hard to find now at least where I am. It even shines in my boring old .270 with a 22 inch barrel. Honestly I do appreciate the potential for higher velocities with double base and the advances in temp stability as a Saskatchewanian haha, but if I had to be stuck with just the imr original single bases for some reason I'd be just fine.

Recent Posts