Farthest Elk Kill with either/or 30-06/270?

Word, let me spill the tea! I've dropped bulls with my 30-06, rockin' 180gr Nosler Partitions, in dense woods and steep ridges. My buddy took a cow with his 270, runnin' 140gr Berger VLDs, in a wide-open valley. Both calibers brought the heat, but that 30-06's my elk-whackin' weapon of choice, 'specially in them tight spaces.

Mine was a 6 pt bull, across a small canyon at a lasered 520 yrds with my old BDL shooting a 165 gr accubond. One shot to the pumphouse, walked 20 ft and tipped over

Hey Brother Bickle- I'm sure you had to take some hard angle shots with your 30-06/180PTS? How did they do when you hit big bones or needed deep penetration? Do you see any advantage a 200gr would have given you instead? I'm heavy bullet freak with Partitions. I even like some "weight" in monos ( 165-180) in the 300WM or 338s) Having never used the 130-150 mono in the '06 or the 160 in 338WM.

Last edited:
REV ~
Interesting post for me for I too prefer 200 grain 30 cal for Bull elk. But at 72 still backpacking in getting a bit wimpy on rifle weight. Have a trusty 270 Wby mag that I hope will still kill a big beast a few more times.

I've got a lot of faith in my old Model 70 .30-06 Featherweight. It has taken a lot of medium to big game. I've owned this rifle since I was 19 years old and now I'm----really old. That being said, I still use my 1954 Model 70 in .300 H&H for my elk rifle. Gives me a little more margin. The 06 will kill them for sure, however the DOD factor ( degree of deadness) is important.

I always thought the 300 WSM is about as close as we can get to the old "300 Super". I like the round alot, but only regret the Mod 700 300 H&H Classic I passed on years back, ha. Back then (90s) I saw factory ammo for it and brass was available.

How does the 270 Win ( with any bullet) do on the big shoulder knuckle or leg bone? Say, you only had a "quartering to" point of the shoulder shot, and under 100yds (like in timber)?

Funny story. A good friend of mine his dad and brother went to colorado on a muley hunt years ago. These guys hunted deer with dogs back home and all used Remmy 760 pumps in 270. 3x9 redfield scopes. The guys in camp with magnums and custom rifles were making fun of them. But these guys were good woodsman and hunters. At the end of the week all 3 had killed including my buddy on a 300 yd across canyon shot on a moving muley one of the magnum guys missed. They weren't laughing then. They started calling them the pump masters. My buddy has killed several mule deer and an elk with his pump and factory 150 gr ammo. The longest shot was about 400 yds.

Nothing like a good hunter/rifle shot! I love pump shotguns but could not stand "the wiggle" of the forearm on the pump rifle. I'm kinda OCD Perfectionist, ha

Last edited:
How does the 270 Win ( with any bullet) do on the big shoulder knuckle or leg bone? Say, you only had a "quartering to" point of the shoulder shot, and under 100yds (like in timber)?
It does the same as any thing in that class, you might break through you might not, anything under 200gr in 30 cal with that shot I'm prepared to need a second, in general if I had that shot I'll put it in front of the shoulder and reley on blowing the arteries up where they exit the chest with the wind pipe and catch the off side lung rather than point of the shoulder or I'll pass the shot. That shot frankly just sucks on an elk, it's how most wounded elk happen that I've seen.

Agree 100%! I shoot until they are all done wiggling! ha But sometimes they turn , bullet hits that big knuckle, then its "game on" or lose him. Thanks Mr Big!

Correction, in referring to the old Name of the excellent 300 H&H, I called it the 300 Super when it us actually "30 Super". 180gr loads were originally around 2800 for the Tropics but increased in America to 180/3060 or so from a 26" barrel. I always figured most loads in a 24" load was around 2950 or so, maybe more. Loaded with modern powders, etc I really believe it and the 300WSM are very similar.