exploding targets

Jimm

hey guys ,has anyone have experience with the tannerite exploding targets.are these things for real and if so how big a bang for the buck.just thinking this would be priceless to have a buddy shoot one at distance and not know what was coming,hehehehehe,jimm

I have shot one before. I had it stuck to a stick that was about 2" thick, and after the explosion, (very loud & smokey) the stick was blown to hell. Shot it with a 22 mag at 30 yards. You really do have to hit it close to the center. I hit it on the edge a few times without it going off. I think it would make someone just about leave a nugget in their shorts if they didn't expect it!

Many years ago I ran a big game damage prevention program for our game agency. Had a bunch of mulies and whitetails eating up a guy's irrigated hayfield. Built some little stands out of plywood and 4x4's, set them out in the field where the deer where going to come out. Stapled a tinfoil plate to top of each post. Tied three sticks of dynamite (called Forceite I seem to recall) and a lightstick together with binder-twine. Attached the dynamite and litestick to the front of the tinfoil - tinfoil worked as a reflector so I could see the green litesticks and the dynamite. Waited till a large number of deer came into the field. Fairly late at night. Shot each litestick with a .223 Rem from about 150-200 yards, deer all around each stand as they were scattered throughout the field.
Freaking great explosions, lightstick turned into green smoke cloud, drifted downwind. Sound echoed upward, hit some low clouds, came back downward, bounced upward - made a really weird BOOOM - WOOOWOOOWOOO as it traveled down the river valley. Shook the dishes in the rancher's kitchen, he thought that was real fine. DNR was out there doing their job!!! Probably blew a few ear-drums for the close-in suckers.
Bottom line, **** deer where back in an hour.
My motto used to be: Dead deer don't eat dick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

They're the best thing since sliced bread. VERY loud. I wouldn't shoot one at less than about 100 yards. We found an old clothes washer, tipped it on it's side, put an exploding target in it, and shot it. It blew the thing to bits. A giant chunck of sheet metal flew about 30' in the air. I stepped off 52 paces between the farthest pieces of debris. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I hurried and ordered several cases after that. I tell everyone who shoots at one for the first time, "If you have to ask 'was that it?', then that wasn't it."

From a shooters stand point they are great. From my stand point(range officer) they suck. They sure work and will have now problem exploding the backing as well. Just make sure you do this on a range that allows it, or on your own land. If alls a go, they are really a blast(haha, no pun intended)

Ok, now you've awakened the little boy in me. My stepson (former Marine) gave me a couple of bottles of Tannerite as an x-mas gift a couple of years ago. I should not have been surprised by the stuff, given that he is a Marine and all, but I had seen "exploding" targets before and was not impressed. Tannerite changed that! Great stuff! Be careful that you don't attract attention that you don't want!

Now a fun story: A guy I used to work with (typical engineer) had a buddy drop by his house in a panic 12 years ago begging him to take his guns for a while because he was getting a divorce and was afraid he would lose them to his ex. Tom is a good man and he agreed. After six months or so, Tom decided he better get the firearms out of the closet and make sure they hadn't rusted. Now, Tom is a great guy, but was not as familiar with firearms as one should be. He took the scoped Rem 700 in .270 out of the case and admired it for a while. He had never touched a rifle and this one really appealed to him. He shouldered the gun, set the crosshairs on a loaf of bread that was sitting on the microwave oven, and pulled the trigger. Today he would clear the action first, but this wasn't today. The bullet passed through the top of the microwave, and on through two walls. He is still a bit rattled by that experience, and is much safer because of it.

Now, Tom didn't make his stupid mistake known at first, but he eventually told two of us. This was too good to pass up, so we plotted and planned to set Tom up when he eventually retired, and we started collecting defunct appliances. We had everything - a microwave, a bread machine, a toilet, a garbage disposal, and old printer, and cordless phone….. The list goes on an on. Well, Tom got mad at the company and retired in a huff and without a ceremony. We were hurt because we had stored all this junk for ten years intending to make a fully narrated home movie as we shot the hell out of all of this stuff. The movie would have been played at Tom's retirement ceremony. We won't forgive him for cheating us out of it, but I made it up by hosting the First Annual Invitational Appliance Shoot.

I laid down very specific rules about the code of conduct on my range and invited ten of our closest friends from work for a day of shooting. The group varied from a few who had never fired a rifle, to a couple of us who shoot competitively. They wasted thousands of rounds that day and riddled the collection of appliances. When things wound down at the end, I had a couple of the guys pile all the appliances on top of the microwave while I mixed two bottles of Tannerite. I slipped them into the microwave without anybody noticing. I called their attention and set the mess off with a 100 yard shot. One guy caught it on video and the clip has made us notorious at work. The explosion left a crater where the pile had been, and the last piece of sheet metal from the microwave hit the ground almost 11 seconds after the blast went off.

We are about to hold the Second Annual Appliance Shoot, and the only question I'm hearing this year is, "You are going to bring the Tannerite, aren't you?" The best part of all of this is that all of these guys now own firearms. Four of them who had never shot before that day joined a work sponsored pistol club and now shoot in rimfire matches. Those with kids are planning on bringing them out for this year's event, and the next generation of shooters will get a proper start. Good thing UPS will deliver the Tannerite to my door………..

Ain't life swell? I would like all of you folks who might not have read the book by GENE SHEPARD, "In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash". Get it from your locale libery. It we'll help you understand the American males need for loud noises.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.