exploding goat video

that was aweome. I cant believe the camera man got that angle! hope he was zoomed in and not as close as it looked. I gotta ask though, what is a 338 thunder?

AWSOME , it alost look like the bullet may have contacted somthing before impact as you can see it befroe and with a hit like that it was pretty explosive.

Waht are the specs on the round? what bullet at what speed

AWSOME , it alost look like the bullet may have contacted somthing before impact as you can see it befroe and with a hit like that it was pretty explosive.

What are the specs on the round? what bullet at what speed

Here's the story that goes along with the video..
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/big-green-turns-big-white-into-big-red-24306/

He used a 225 grain Accubond, didn't mention what speed but energy was 5125 ft/lbs. I've watched that vid like 4 times now and am impressed every time!

Wait a minute. I don't think blowing up that magnificent goat (with a cannon from 97 yrds) like some *** varmint is something I'd be too proud of.

I love hunting and shooting all sorts of birds and animals, but sometimes things happen that are probably best treated with a little discretion.

Be that as it may, it is a terrific video.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
The 225 grain accubond left my barrel at around 3300 fps and as James Jones pointed out, it hit a rock just low of the goat and skipped into it. We learned this later after viewing the video and caping out and tanning the hide.
The hunter shot low by about 5" and I don't know if it was jitters or the fact that he had to shoot offhand in a 25 mph wind but the big gun still got the job done.

I thought I named the thread appropriately so the squimish wouldn't be apt to watch it but I guess not. I simply thought it was interesting to watch what a partially disintegrated bullet can do.

While I don't try to blow the living stuffing out of big game animals, I know this goat never felt a thing. He was dead before he landed his backflip!

BTW, Lewis, if you had read the storylink that Eaglet so kindly posted, you would have read that this hunt was an intended long range hunt because of the inability of the elderly hunter to get up the 11,000 foot mountain quickly. But the lay of the land prevented a long range shot and the goats ended up coming right out on top of us. Believe me, I would have much preferred a long range shot on this hunt but sometimes the animals surprise you and don't cooperate. I didn't build this rifle for killing things inside bow range obviously but that is how it turned out on this hunt.

Last edited:
Well the bullet hitting somthing at 5-10 feet and busting it open basicaly turns it into a 3000fps shotgun at point blank range , very effective eitherway. 97yds off hand in high wind is a tough shot in anybodys arena.

As for the trouble with "blowing up" that great goat at 97yds like it was a varmint was in the plan , LUCKLY , G.G. was able to get that close and pull off a great shot , and I personaly never like to see any animal suffer any longer than they have to wether is be a majestic goat or a feral cat that caused trouble , no animal deserves anything less than a swift exit.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts